Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio Splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bibbi

I'm looking for either a completed device with a case, or a completed circuit that I can place in a custom case. I'd prefer the latter of the two, but if not, the first will have to do.

I'm looking for something that will separate the left and right audio channels into surround sound outputs. I do not want it to amplilify the signals, I just want them to get split into the correct audio format, frequency, or whatever a surround system does without amplifying output, I plan to connect each output to there own amplifier.

So I'd like either a completed circuit with a case, or a mountable circuit board with pin connections. Or if making this circuit isn't to incredible hard, send me a schematic of it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

If you are talking about deriving surround sound from a simple stereo analogue signal, you might get some 'surround' effect by subtracting the two signals, and using the difference signal as a surround effect. Works quite well with soundtracks that are encoded as analogue 'Dolby Stereo'- or even simple stereo tracks sometimes!
No 'circuit' needed --simply connect extra wires to the +ve output terminals from both left and right stereo speakers, and connect those two connections to the +ve and -ve terminals of a third 'surround' speaker. Add a second 'surround' speaker in series, to improve the effect. Try different polarities of the 'surround' speaker connections, to get the best results.
No extra connections to the -ve terminals of the stereo speakers.
Can work quite well.

If you're looking at real 5.1 surround, then you will already have 6 audio channels from the system digital audio decoder anyway, ready to be connected to your 6 power amplifiers....

Surround sound has 5.1 separate digital channels, not just the 2 analog channels of stereo.
Many years ago they tried modulating 4 channels into stereo and called it SQ then a Pro-Logic SQ decoder (I made one) tried to re-create the 4 channels from the modulated stereo signal. Sometimes it worked well and other times it didn't.

Never mind, I've decided to just use one of my computers HD audio card for all of the audio ports, but what I'd like now is a 120 Watt amplifier circuit to amplify them all, each on a separate circuit with volume control, if you could supply a circuit, that'd be great.

Never mind, I've decided to just use one of my computers HD audio card for all of the audio ports, but what I'd like now is a 120 Watt amplifier circuit to amplify them all, each on a separate circuit with volume control, if you could supply a circuit, that'd be great.

depending on your level of experience and/or need for a challenge vs. a quick solution,
you might check out this kind of stuff: 20W Bridged Audio Amplifier - Cana Kit

Whare are you?????????????

First off, what do you mean where am I?

Secondly, more specifications:

1: I need this 120 watt circuit to be tiny.
2: I need it to amplify 7 signals.
3: I really don't care if it's a challenge or not.
4: I'm really just a hobbiest that is wanting to build a stereo that will output the amount my speakers are rated for.
5: Its going to get more complex since I'm connecting it to my computer for a secondary volume control.
6: There will be another signal that will be controlled by the volume control and another "bass" volume control since this signal will go to my 300W amplifier that goes to my Subwoofers.
7: I'd like the 120W amplifier circuits to run of a 12V car battery since that is what my 300W amplifier is powered by.
8: I'd just like to get a good, but small 120W amplifier circuit that I can fit 7 of them in toa small space which won't over heat easily.

So any circuit would be great.

120 watt per channel??
or total?
an 840 watt amp will be neither tiny nor cool running i should think. would be hella loud though.

do you have an idea of your speakers' actual RMS rating?
this number might well be significantly less than 120watts.
also, are they 4 ohms?
8?
16?

Okay, my bad, it's not 120W, but 60, here's the full description.

PYLE PLX42 4-Inch 120 Watt Two-Way Speakers

Description

4'' Polypropylene Woofer Cone - 4 Ohms Impedance
1'' Hi-Temp Ferro Fluid Enhanced Voice Coil - Rubber Boot Magnet Cover
1'' Mylar Dome Tweeter - Includes Grills, Wires and Mounting Hardware
60 Watts RMS/120 Watts Max Power - Mounting Depth: 2''
Frequency Response: 66 - 20k hz

I'd still like what ever circuit you give me, if any, to run off of my 12V car battery since I plan to make it so that when these circuits turn on, my 300W amp will turn on, since currently it's using a toggle switch. But if I need a different power supply, that's fine, I'll just add something to do the job.

And if you're wondering why I have a 300W amp, with 2, 300W subs, hooked up to a car battery, which is connected to a 2A smart trickle charger, it's because they cost me $40 and I had no other place to put them.

if it's your first amplifier, you might find a kit to be challenging enough (but i don't know)

the 20watt module on this page for instance:
**broken link removed**

you might well find 20 watts RMS per channel to be just plenty of power for your needs... particularly if you're using 7 of them!

there's a bunch of higher-power amps here:
**broken link removed**
i didn't notice any of those to be suited to your 12V car battery though.... there is a kit which gives you the needed +/- voltages, but only for 24V batteries.

A tiny 4" speaker is good for about 20W for a long duration tone. The manufacturer (or importer) says 60W RMS but does not say the duration or frequency which might be for a couple of milli-seconds and at about 400Hz.
A 12V single-ended amplifier provides only 2.5W to a 4 ohm speaker and a 12V bridged amplifier provides 8.7W. A car battery is about 14V when the engine is running then the bridged power is about 14W.

A single-ended amplifier needs a supply that is about 30V to produce 20W into 4 ohms and a bridged amplifier needs a supply that is about 16V to produce 20W into 4 ohms.

So you must add a complicated high power voltage stepup circuit.

If there's a cheaper way, I'll take it, so if I need to make my own circuit boards, I will.

This isn't my first circuit, but it is my first stereo.

So if you have a schematic for a small, cheap, and reliable circuit that you think will do the job and sounds good, send me a copy, and if not, I'll buy 2 of the 20W amps and see if I like them, then buy more. But cheaper and just as reliable always sounds better to me.

So if you have a schematic for a small, cheap, and reliable circuit that you think will do the job and sounds good, send me a copy

Small means low power because there is not enogh space for a good heatsink.

Means low power, terrible distortion and muffled high frequencies.

But cheaper and just as reliable always sounds better to me.
Cheap junk sounds like cheap junk and usually sounds worse. Its reliability is poor. Having the defective one replaced is almost impossible.
I buy hi-fi products that sound the same as excellent much more expensive products that are prettier.
They are not Chinese, they are Canadian or American and sometimes they are European.

Last edited:
Small means low power because there is not enogh space for a good heatsink.

you MIGHT be interested in looking at 'class D' amplifier designs.
they kind of change the game... at least in terms of power, heat, efficiency...

this one claims to be suitable for 12V car battery supplies:
**broken link removed**

They are not Chinese, they are Canadian or American and sometimes they are European.

i'm very happy having a (japanese built) luxman here : )
is from a different era though

If you can give a place in Canada that sells class D amps, please let me know. Otherwise, do you know of any sellers in Canada?

If you can give a place in Canada that sells class D amps, please let me know. Otherwise, do you know of any sellers in Canada?

ha! wow, i guess right the first time :D
but which province i wonder? hmm.
in terms of thriftiness i'd place you in the centre of the continent...
but the lack of space issue sounds very non-prairie to me... but that might imply a city dwelling like edmonton, winnipeg, calgary, saskatoon, etc.
give us a hint... i want to try at guessing your province!

If you must know where I am, I've put it in my profile. So anyone know of any retail stores where I can find these amps?

Okay, I guess the 20W Bridged Audio Amplifier - Cana Kit will do for this, but if anyone knows of anything else, let me know, it'll be a bit before I buy it / them.

If you what to rum off 12volts I would just use automobile amps. They're are some good 4 channel amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back