Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio Amp ICs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most modern inexpensive car radio amplifier ICs are internally bridged so that they provide 14W into 4 ohms at clipping with a 13.8V supply. The TDA1554 is stereo and the TDA2005 and TDA7240A are mono.

The TDA1562 stereo amp IC has a voltage doubler inside (class-H). It provides 48W per channel at clipping into 4 ohms with a 13.8V supply.

LA4445 is a new SANYO IC. 2 x 5W stereo at 12V.
LA4498 will give you something at 20W Woofer power into 4ohms at 12V. Seems pretty good for hearing.
Advantage is operation at 12V.

Anyway I've made an ipod amp using TA7368P giving 1W mono output at 6V. Excellent personal hearing.

LA4498 will give you something at 20W Woofer power into 4ohms at 12V.
No.
It is old and is discontinued.
It gives 20 Whats (10% distortion) into 4 ohms with a 13.2V supply or 14 Watts (1% distortion).
Its output at clipping into 4 ohms with a 12V supply is only 11.2 Watts like nearly every other bridged car radio amplifier IC.

EDIT: The LA4445 is not new. It is also old and is discontinued. Its output is only 3 Watts into 4 ohms at clipping with a 12V supply. Its high frequencies are reduced above 4kHz and it is very distorted at 3W.

Last edited:
What kind of voltage does the LM3886 require to give its full 68W output (or at least near there)?

What kind of voltage does the LM3886 require to give its full 68W output (or at least near there)?
Why not look at its datasheet?
Typically 68 Watts continuously into 4 ohms at 1kHz and 20kHz at 0.1% distortion or less with a plus and minus 28VDC supply.

Its output into 8 ohms continuously at 1kHz and 20kHz at 0.1% distortion or less is 50 Watts with a plus and minus 35VDC supply.

I got that info from the datasheet but the below comment confused me a little:

With a 32V supply, an LM3886 will have an output at clipping of 23W into 4 ohms.

There is certainly a lot of misunderstanding about audio output power by many that have been bamboozled by all the marketing claims and myths. I've been involved with vintage hi-fi equipment for many years and have had many different amps and receivers to play with, the largest being a Pioneer SX-1980 receiver that specs at 270wpc at rated distortion (very low) into 8 ohms. I think that unit has +/- 90vdc rails.

Many of the units have average responding watt meters and I can tell you that the majority of my listening to vintage rock and roll is at around the 2-5 watts output, and that is loud enough for the wife to ***** from the bedroom. The main advantge of having more wattage is the extra headroom responds to audio peaks with a lot less distortion then lesser wattage amps. It's mostly marketing hype and I would state that a good clean low distortion amp that maxes out at an honest 50wpc is more then enough for 95% of the home applications.

Lefty

Your hearing's response to loudness is logarithmic so 100W sounds only a little louder than 50W. 500W sounds twice as loud as 50W and you can feel the bass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back