Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio Amp ICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ormo

Hi,

Can anyone recommend an IC or ICs for the audio system I'm looking to set up in my room:

Input: stereo, probably quite small (MP3 player/mobile phone/laptop)

Output: stereo, preferably quite loud - ideally three outputs: left audio, right audio and a separate speaker for the lower sounds (basically a sub-woofer)

Requirements: volume control from 0% (mute) to 100%, bass and treble controls, easy to add other things to it (eg. LED VU meters, etc.)

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1000W is pretty loud in a baseball stadium. 1W is pretty loud in a bathroom.
My car radio has 228 real RMS Watts (not peak Whats) and it sounds great.

Some speakers need a high power to make a little noise. Other speakers are efficient.

You have a room? A closet or a living room?

You should guess the amount of power you need, not us.

with 2X50W RMS you won't have to take care doing the dishes when used in the kitchen. :D

(required music: hard rock or metal) :)

Sorry I was a little vague (ok, very vague) in the first post - I had to type it up in a hurry. The room is about 5 x 7 metres with the speakers mounted on either end of the longer wall. I've not decided what kind of speakers I'll be using so any suggestions on that front would be helpful as well.

Oh and by the way... in my room it's more indie rock, rock and dance

I have 2x70W RMS or 4x60W RMS in my family room and nothing breaks.
But I never listen to hard rock, metal or acid. They break your hearing.

But it is fun to make an amplifier that blows up because it oscillates.
Then make it a few more times until it is stable. You spend a lot but you learn about stuff.

I'm with audioguru on this... why buy and learn nothing when you can build one that is exactly what you want and learn all about it?

What kind of speakers would be needed for 70W RMS and what IC(s) could power them?

But it is fun to make an amplifier that blows up because it oscillates.
Then make it a few more times until it is stable. You spend a lot but you learn about stuff.

How true, I have built many power amps that turned out to be great broad band oscillators, and oscillators that didn't oscillate. :eek:
Live and learn...

Ok, I've come up with an idea. Can anyone let me know if the following would work properly?

I will use an LM1036N (link 1) to operate my treble, bass, balance and volume controls. I will then run the inputs of that to two separate LM8336s to act as the main amplifiers. The outputs of these will be linked to two 4Ω speakers. The whole thing will be powered by about 32VDC.

Can anyone spot any obvious problems with this?

Link 1: **broken link removed**

Actually, I will set the LM1036N to the minimal gain and use a pot in the input of the LM3886s for the volume control

Instead of the trbele and bass controls, I suggest you to get an old equalizer, it gives you the perfect control of tone... is beautiful!! And you can compensate the weakeness or or boost the capabilities of your particular sound setup.

Why do the equalizers are so impopular now? I can only find huge 31+ band ones for professional use, but never seen again teh small 7 or 12 band for car audio (i.e. Pioneer EQ-7000, Alpine 3319... old but cool stuff)

With a 32V supply, an LM3886 will have an output at clipping of 23W into 4 ohms.

I have 2x70W RMS or 4x60W RMS in my family room and nothing breaks.
But I never listen to hard rock, metal or acid. They break your hearing.

Fortunately that goes along with 30 to 50% hearing losses. After that it won't be annoying anymore. :D

The stereo TDA2009 has low power. With a 24V supply it is 11W into 4 ohms or 6W into 8 ohms at clipping.
With a 12V supply the power is only 2.5W or 1W as above.

I don't think the stereo TDA2002 is made anymore. The stereo TDA2003 replaces it and has an output of 3W into 4 ohms at clipping with a 12V supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back