Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Attaching Images to Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Thanks a lot, carbonzit, ronv, Ratch.

@carbonzit: Could you please tell me how I embed an image inline? I want to directly upload image from a URL or from my PC. Thanks.

Last edited:
No, that's not the way to do it. (You get a "thumbnail" that way that the reader has to click on to open in a separate tab/window.)

I explained it before. Up at the upper right, click "My Account". Select "My Albums" from the drop-down menu. Click "Create Album". Give it a name.
Now you can add pictures to the album by clicking "Upload Pictures". After uploading, open picture by clicking on its thumbnail in the album. In the picture display page, click on the "BB Code" link to highlight it; right-click, "Copy" to copy it to the clipboard. Now you can paste the link into your post, which will show the picture embedded in the post, not as a clickable thumbnail.

No, that's not the way to do it. (You get a "thumbnail" that way that the reader has to click on to open in a separate tab/window.)

I explained it before. Up at the upper right, click "My Account". Select "My Albums" from the drop-down menu. Click "Create Album". Give it a name.
Now you can add pictures to the album by clicking "Upload Pictures". After uploading, open picture by clicking on its thumbnail in the album. In the picture display page, click on the "BB Code" link to highlight it; right-click, "Copy" to copy it to the clipboard. Now you can paste the link into your post, which will show the picture embedded in the post, not as a clickable thumbnail.
I prefer to attach my figures as thumbnails since they tend to be large and would clutter up the post page otherwise. Sorry if that requires you to click your mouse button an additional time.;)

I prefer to attach my figures as thumbnails since they tend to be large and would clutter up the post page otherwise. Sorry if that requires you to click your mouse button an additional time.;)

Well, horses for courses: isn't that what they say?

Point well taken: nothing worse than someone's stupid cellphone picture that's a zillion pixels in both dimensions (usually showing a single resistor or some such) that fills the entire screen. I limit my embedded pics to a reasonable size. If they're bigger than that, then I post them as thumbnails.

Have mercy on the poor reader, I say.

I would agree with Carl, if a reader considers it interesting, one click will show the full sized image.

Images posted into text at full size, do hog most of the screen and the accompanying text cannot been seen.

I would agree with Carl, if a reader considers it interesting, one click will show the full sized image.

Images posted into text at full size, do hog most of the screen and the accompanying text cannot been seen.

Not necessarily true at all, as the image below will demonstrate:

**broken link removed**

You seem to assume that "full size" means "fill the entire message window". 'Taint necessarily so.

Like I said, it depends on the size of the image one wants to post.

Last edited:
Not necessarily true at all, as the image below will demonstrate:

**broken link removed**

You seem to assume that "full size" means "fill the entire message window". 'Taint necessarily so.

Like I said, it depends on the size of the image one wants to post.

I would say thats hogging the screen, why is so difficult to post a thumbnail.???

Attachments

• AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    66.7 KB · Views: 152
Thank you, everyone. That's good that someone has created a separate thread on this.

Yes, I also prefer to have inline thumbnails because this way the reader can focus more on the text and can open full size images in a new tab and further the reader can easily know which image the poster is talking about if there are more than one images involved. But in some cases it wouldn't be a bad choice to directly insert an image into the text if size is reasonable as carbonzit has showed.

Regards
PG

I would say thats hogging the screen, why is so difficult to post a thumbnail.???

What are you reading this site on, a cell phone?

Seriously, I never thought of an image this size as "hogging the screen", but others may feel differently about it.

Let me ask you, what would you consider the maximum size of an embedded image that doesn't "hog the screen"? How about this one:

**broken link removed**

(Size: 200 x 129 pixels)

Hi

I wanted to know if it's possible to embed thumbnails of images between the text so that when the reader clicks on the thumbnail he/she is taken to the original image. In other words, how do I get clickable inline thumbnail? Some forums have this feature.

Last edited:
My answer is "no", but then I saw a post somewhere here recently that was formatted just like that: a thumbnail embedded in the text, rather than at the bottom. (Whenever I've used "Manage Attachments" to add images, they've always appeared at the bottom of the post.)

Not sure how they got that: maybe it was a link to an external image?

My answer is "no", but then I saw a post somewhere here recently that was formatted just like that: a thumbnail embedded in the text, rather than at the bottom. (Whenever I've used "Manage Attachments" to add images, they've always appeared at the bottom of the post.)

Not sure how they got that: maybe it was a link to an external image?

Thank you, CZ.

I believe having attachments appearing as thumbnails embedded in the text is a lot better. This helps the reader in understanding that what the poster is talking about and which attachment is under discussion.

Regards
PG

It's not really the difficulty factor, it's a matter of functionality. Putting the image at a viewable size in the text gives the best level of fucntionality, it's like a magazine article withthe picture next to the text.

Using the thumbnail adds a layer of extra hassle for the viewer, it's like a magazine article where the text you are reading is on page 10 but then you have to flip to page 97 to see the picture that the text is talking about.

In my opinion the thumbnails are really great when you have a lot of pictures, or large pictures, but I think for a single simple picture Carbonzit's exampleis perfect that is the sort of picture that can go in the text and provides better functionality for the reader. :)

And I'm still waiting for my answer as to what constitutes "hogging the screen".

I'm not just trying to be difficult here: it would be useful for people to know what the maximum recommended size is for embedded images. On my screen (1280x1024), the image I posted above seems just right. However, someone with a mobile computing device (or an iPad?) might see things differently.

Last edited:
On a different thread (Clicky) I posted this image,
lcd-jpg.57464

This is 640*480. I think this is a nice size and doesn't hog the screen. It only took less than a minute to take and resize it.

The way I got this inline was to add it as an attachment and then edit the original post to add the image.

Mike.

But, Mike, that's the full size image which you have used inline. How do we embed thumbnail of an image between the text?

Thanks.

On a different thread (Clicky) I posted this image,
lcd-jpg.57464

This is 640*480. I think this is a nice size and doesn't hog the screen. It only took less than a minute to take and resize it.

The way I got this inline was to add it as an attachment and then edit the original post to add the image.

Mike.
It's a little porky to me. And when you reply with quote as I did, it repeats the hog, unless you go in and edit the quote.

I guess it depends on what resolution you are using. I'm on 1680*1050 and so 640*480 is a small part of the monitor. I don't know how to post inline thumbnails but you can always put a link (Clicky to see picture) to the picture.

Mike.

Last edited:
Using the thumbnail adds a layer of extra hassle for the viewer
So does embedding images. The viewer has to scroll way down the page, or even left and right for an over-sized image, to get past the image!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back