Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Attaching Images to Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using the thumbnail adds a layer of extra hassle for the viewer
So does embedding images. The viewer has to scroll way down the page, or even left and right for an over-sized image, to get past the image!

"Scroll way down the page"? That depends on the size of the image, doesn't it? I bring this up because some people seem to be missing this point.

Let me illustrate: does this inline image bother you (in terms of having to scroll the window)?

**broken link removed**

How about this one?

**broken link removed**

Now, there is a possibility that the viewer may be using a computing device with a small screen, in which case just about any image is going to "hog" the screen. Can I ask you what kind of computer you're using (desktop, laptop, iPad) and what your screen resolution is?

The point (the one I've been trying to make, anyhow) is that one can use inline images successfully, if one is judicious about sizing them and is careful not to hog the window. It's this last part that's the most important: Don't post a picture from your cell phone at full resolution.

Last edited:
Agree about the need for judicious sizing. Unfortunately there are many examples in these forums where posters haven't bothered to size images appropriately.

It's a little porky to me. And when you reply with quote as I did, it repeats the hog, unless you go in and edit the quote.

Yeah that's a valid point for sure. But I always edit quotes when needed (to reduce guff and make it more readable).

I found it curious people felt that way! I've always tried to take the extra effort to post nicely sized inline images whenever possible (in the belief I was providing the best usability for the reader) and kept the thumbnails for big stuff and/or multi-images.

Now it seems people prefer thumbnails? I find thumbnails really annoying when they are just a very simple schematic or something small, but you still can't see it until you have to open it. To my logic, something small could have just been included in the text and been better for everyone.

Yeah that's a valid point for sure. But I always edit quotes when needed (to reduce guff and make it more readable).

I found it curious people felt that way! I've always tried to take the extra effort to post nicely sized inline images whenever possible (in the belief I was providing the best usability for the reader) and kept the thumbnails for big stuff and/or multi-images.

Now it seems people prefer thumbnails? I find thumbnails really annoying when they are just a very simple schematic or something small, but you still can't see it until you have to open it. To my logic, something small could have just been included in the text and been better for everyone.
Obviously it's a matter of personal preference. The picture I referred to was a little large I thought, but some of the smaller ones (that don't take up more than a couple inches height on my screen, perhaps a couple hundred pixels vertical) are fine. Certainly it's a convenience to have the smaller pictures embedded in the post.

Last edited:
Agreed. The whole point is to exercise good judgment when attaching images.

It would actually be helpful if this were given in some guidelines for new members somewhere on this site. (Of course, I guess that's just more information for people to ignore ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back