Astable switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitfish

I'm only a novice so laugh all you want, but can anyone tell me/show me how to set off an astable with a push-button. My astable is set up like below:
Any help is appreciated a lot.
**broken link removed**

Can you just use a latching pushbutton? Or do you need a momentary - push ON - push OFF? Or do you just need a button to make it start and can use a different switch to reset it?

Last edited:
I just need a circuit diagram of how to wire a push button to an astable so that I can turn it off and on.
Sorry for the lack of clarity.

I guess what I am getting at is can you use a push button switch with an ON and OFF state built into it mechanically? If you can use a switch like this, all you need to do is either put it inline with pin 1 or 8 of the 555 IC. Pin 1 is ground and 8 is your positive supply voltage, breaking either will turn it off.

If you have a momentary pushbutton that you want to use to toggle it on and off, you will need a circuit. There is more then one way to do it, but a flip flop comes to mind.

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/flipflop.html

Give that a read through if your looking for a latching circuit. They are controling a fan, but your 555 astable circuit could take its place.

try one of these

here is a website that spills all the beans about the 555 or better yet the 7555
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…