Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ASK.com really @#$@ing me off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

So i've been using firefox for years now, and never had a problem. One thing that really irks me is that ASK.com keeps being added to my search engine list! :mad: As in - i remove it and a few days later it is back! I haven't been able to pinpoint where it is being installed from, but my theory is it's through updates. I really don't care. If i wanted ASK.com as a search engine, i would add it! GAH!

Just had to rant about that... :)

Anyone else notice this?

Nope. I think I have done my updates too!

kv

I do not have a search engine list in mine? I am not current, but it's not in mine.. Or I do not know where it is so is ask.com is there, guess it is OK by me. :D

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6

You might have installed something that had this as an added 'feature'.

Aaah now i have never thought of that... The only addon i have on this install is adblock plus... i might have to look into that...

Thanks.

I did use opera for a while, and liked it, but for some reason i liked firefox better.

hi marks,
Download free from the web HijackThis.exe

If you do a scan with this program you may see the 'ASK' listed, if so delete it.

If that fails then go:
Start
Run
type in regedit

Use the search function to find each and every reference to 'ASK' and delete it.
Take care not to delete any words that 'ask' is just a part of.
ie: task

Do you use a firewall.? Zone Alarm is a freebie.

I guess you have tried using 'Add or Remove' to delete ASK, using the MS program.??

Last edited:
G'day Mark I have the same problem, ask installed itself when i installed bit spirit and although i've deleted it several times it keep haunting me.

G'day Mark I have the same problem, ask installed itself when i installed bit spirit and although i've deleted it several times it keep haunting me.

Good reason to avoid bit torrent software. Have you tried Spybot?

ericgibbs said:
hi marks,
Download free from the web HijackThis.exe

If you do a scan with this program you may see the 'ASK' listed, if so delete it.

If that fails then go:
Start
Run
type in regedit

Use the search function to find each and every reference to 'ASK' and delete it.
Take care not to delete any words that 'ask' is just a part of.
ie: task

Do you use a firewall.? Zone Alarm is a freebie.

I guess you have tried using 'Add or Remove' to delete ASK, using the MS program.??

Mikebits said:
Have you tried Spybot?

I'm running Ubuntu guys :p

bryan1 said:

Aaah. Well at least i'm not the only one. No matter how many times you delete it, it keeps coming back :) I've never heard of bit spirit, is it any good? I'm quite a fan of Vuze (formerly known as Azureus)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back