Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Argg. MPlab frustration solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menke

So, I've had a working setup (Dell laptop running XP, MPLAB, ATEN usb->RS232, Inchworm+) for a while. I needed to re-image my laptop since it had gotten slow and fragmented (same install for over 3 years).

When I re-install MPLAB, all I could get was the error

ICD0019: Communications: Failed to open port: (Windows::GetLastError() = 0x2, 'The system cannot find the file specified.')
ICD0021: Unable to connect with MPLAB ICD 2

Loopback test on the inchworm worked, and it didn't matter what com port, setting, etc.. I selected, I always got this error. I tried mplab 7.60, 8.02. I tried different USB drivers. I tried all the settings.:mad:

After screwing around for several hours, I finally loaded the bluetooth drivers. Everything started working. Apparently there are 9 COM ports used by the bluetooth card built into the laptop, and they were all interferring with the USB to RS232 adapter.

I figured since I had googled this error and hadn't found anything useful, I'd at least write it up here for posterity sake.:D

Wonder why a bluetooth card would reserve 9 COM addresses? Which USB / RS232 adapter do you use. Finding ones that work with the Inchworm always interests me.

I don't know what the bluetooth is doing. The installer loads at least 6 different drivers (remote camera, file transfer, HID, Information exchanger, blah , blah, blah). I'm going to tear the little idiot mini-pci out as soon as I shutdown tonight.:D

The USB adapter is the ATEN UC232A. I've used this for a lot of serial consoles, and it's always worked. The signaling seems to be complete when you look at it through a breakout box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back