Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are rechargeable batteries suppose to last longer than 18 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

After charging eneloop batteries 6 hours charger says they are fully charged but they are not charged. Camera says, Low Battery. Meter shows 2 batteries are .008 volts. The other 9 batteries are .7v each. Print on eneloop batteries says 1.2 volts. 2 used sunbeam batteries are 1.4 volts. I wonder is charger is a problem I have not been taking notes but it seems to me batteries use to charge in 3 hours and now it takes 6 hours to charge. Is there a way to test this charger?

100_3972.JPG

100_3975.JPG

100_3977.JPG

Last edited:
Eneloop cells are excellent if they are real and not Chinese copies. They should measure about 1.45V when fully charged, then drop to about 1.35V in a couple of days if they are not used.
I think the charger is defective.

NiMH or NiCd cells can develop internal short circuits if left flat for long periods; they should always be stored fully charged (but preferably used and recharged occasionally).

Any cells that are showing near zero volts are likely shorted.
It may be possible to revive them by briefly connecting each one to a high current source to zap the internal short, then charge fully and use!

30 years ago all my Ni-Cad batteries developed a short and needed the short zapped away. Then for the last 30 years none of my many Ni-MH cells developed a short.

Energizer Ni-MH batteries are made in Japan and have the same ability to hold a charge for one year like Eneloop cells. Also made by Panasonic?
Duracell Ni-MH cells sold with a charger and a low price at Costco are made in China and have a low mAh rating.

Eneloop cells are excellent if they are real and not Chinese copies. They should measure about 1.45V when fully charged, then drop to about 1.35V in a couple of days if they are not used.
I think the charger is defective.

You are right. I charged 4 batteries in the old slow 12 hour charger, they are all 1.476 volts on my meter.

What to do with the EBL charger. Maybe I take it apart to see what is inside. Maybe it is full of rice. LOL, haha, funny.
OH look NO rice. Parts so small I need a microscope to see them. I think I see an SMPS.

I would like to have an EASY charger that will charge, 8 batteries in about 8 hours. Each camera holds 8 batteries.
AA batteries are all 1.9Ah or wait 1900mAh sounds so much more powerful.

100_3994.JPG

100_3997.JPG

100_3998.JPG

Last edited:
Walmart has sellers with different prices. Are the cheap ones fakes?

Attachments

• Eneloop AA.png
    Eneloop AA.png
    382.5 KB · Views: 182
Walmart has sellers with different prices. Are the cheap ones fakes?

I bought my batteries in the states online. Batteries charge good on the old slow charger. I need several more of these old slow chargers. I see chargers online that charge 8 batteries but they have hdmi plugs to plug into a computer. I want 120 vac plug.

I bought my batteries in the states online. Batteries charge good on the old slow charger. I need several more of these old slow chargers. I see chargers online that charge 8 batteries but they have hdmi plugs to plug into a computer. I want 120 vac plug.

I doubt they have HDMI plugs, more likely USB ones.

Buy a charger that's specifically for NiMH batteries and not for NiCd as they have slightly different charging protocols.

One of the best would probably be the BQ CC63 8-cell charger from Panasonic which operates from the main's and is specifically designed for NiMh batteries.
It charges each cell individually so will not overcharge a cell as can happen if they are charged in series.
It may be a little pricy, but should be worth it if you are charging a lot of cells frequently, and what to get maximum life from them.

Buy a charger that's specifically for NiMH batteries and not for NiCd as they have slightly different charging protocols.

One of the best would probably be the BQ CC63 8-cell charger from Panasonic which operates from the main's and is specifically designed for NiMh batteries.
It charges each cell individually so will not overcharge a cell as can happen if they are charged in series.
It may be a little pricy, but should be worth it if you are charging a lot of cells frequently, and what to get maximum life from them.

I found those in 2 places, Lithuania & Netherlands $50 plus $3 postage, 3 week shipping time. Input voltage 100 to 240 volts but input plug is a round 2 prong plug I have never seen. No information about 50Hz or 60Hz. That should work here in USA but I wonder if I can replace the 2 prong plug with USA type plug just 2 wires and no ground wire. Seems like it will work.

I have money in ebay from things I don't want anymore & sell so I need to spend some $$, its almost like free money.

Last edited:
I wonder if I can replace the 2 prong plug with USA type plug just 2 wires and no ground wire.
See no reason that you can't since it's designed tor run on any voltage between 100 to 240V.
The supply is likely a switching type which are insensitive to line frequency.

You are right. I charged 4 batteries in the old slow 12 hour charger, they are all 1.476 volts on my meter.

What to do with the EBL charger. Maybe I take it apart to see what is inside. Maybe it is full of rice. LOL, haha, funny.
OH look NO rice. Parts so small I need a microscope to see them. I think I see an SMPS.

I would like to have an EASY charger that will charge, 8 batteries in about 8 hours. Each camera holds 8 batteries.
AA batteries are all 1.9Ah or wait 1900mAh sounds so much more powerful.

View attachment 136277

View attachment 136278

View attachment 136279 ebl smart battery charger
Hey Dude!

Everyone experience with products is different and my experience with the ebl is extremely great so far but I'm surprised over your statement "full of rice'". I think we should focus on power, quality, long lasting and reliability instead of small parts. If you've an issue with this charger, you can use its smart battery charger that's I think best in terms of providing long hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back