Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

anyone know about reversible motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotcars

Hi,
I am making a special effects prop for my haunted house we have every year. I need to connect two dimmer switches together (one in the on position and the other in the off position) to turn two lights on and off in the project. I need one light bulb to slowly dimming to off as the other bulb is slowly brightening to full on. I was told to connect the two dimmer switches together with a pvc connector and use a screw gear and run it with a reversible motor but I don't have a clue what size motor or where to get one or what to ask for. It also calls for a worm gear. I don't know where to find a worm gear eather. Can anyone help me understand how to do it or does anyone have a better and maybe easier way to do the same job.
Thanks, Hotcars from Iowa :?

looks like who gave you the solution gave you a mecanical one......
you connect the 2 dimmers togheter and then you want to use a motor to turn them fully in one direction and then reverse and turn the dimmers in the other direction.....and so on.....
so you need a little motor .......a reversable motor.....a normal D.C. motor turns one way when the current flows in one direction and the other way when you turn the duirection of the current......so a motor from a cassette player will do.....if you modify it a bit: remove the regulator circuit from it(if it has one)
you will also need a circuit that will turn your motor in one direction and then in the other. but the circuit will need to know when to turn directions so you will need to add some contacts to the mecanical part.
about the gear and the worm gear.....they will be used to reduce the turation of the motor to a desirable value so that the dimming occurs as fast as you want
the second idea will be to make all electronically.....wich is much easier because the parts are more available.....
use a triangle oscilator with 2 outputs.....a direct one and an inverted one...connect the lamps with proper dirving electronic components to each output and you got it!
let me know what you think of the ideas......

halloween prop

Hi,
Thanks so much for the help but I have one big problem. I am dumb as a post when it comes to this kind of thing and I am sure what you are saying is the way to go but I don't know what it all means. SORRY :!: :!: :!:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back