Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone else wake at a odd time each night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
For the last few months i have been in bed at a reasonable time. But most nights around 11:45 i wake up really thirsty, then i cant sleep until around 2am, does anyone else wake up at roughly the same time every night?

I know loads of people wake in the night, but i seem to wake at pretty much the same time every night, i am also extremely thirsty even though i have a drink before bed.

There is a theory about history and people:
Before light bulbs, and before oil lights, people went to bed when it got dark.
There are 12 hours of dark but most people sleep 7 to 8 hours.
The thought is that people got up in the middle of the night and had about 4 hours of awake time in the middle of the night.
If your tribe is sleeping in tents and herding sheep, then people got up in the night to check on the sheep.
Some one got up and put more wood on the fire.

Some people thing we are built for 3+4 hours of sleep over 12 hours.
Something for you to think about between 12 and 2.

Some times I get up and type "junk" on the forums. lol

I tried the putting more wood on the fire, not too sure how your meant to do it. I found the wood blocked up the gas jets.

Depending on what I do during the day my sleep pattern varies greatly.
(1) Exercise during day (digging garden, riding bike, mixing concrete): bed at 11: 30 pm, up at 8am
(2) Night out at pub, six pints of Butcome (local beer): bed at 1 am, up at 9am
(3) No exercise or Butcombe. Bed at 1am. wake at 4: 30 am, back to bed again at 6:30 am, up at 9:30 am
(4) If I have a design under way, I may wake two or three times to work on it, especially if the design is going badly.
(5) Full strength coffee after 5pm will keep me awake until about 5am.

Before about age 60 I had a more normal sleeping pattern, apart from 16 hour shifts on RADARs in the RAF, and working 24Hours when there was a panic on at work.

One of my mates only slept for an hour each nigh, and he was as bright as a button.

spec

It's often referred to as 'double sleeping' and it normal.

I've been that way most of my life. If I don't play myself out dead tired in a day to where I stay down for 8 - 10 hours I will do the doubling of 4- 5 down then 1 - 3 awake followed by a 2 - 3 top off.

Personally I can adjust to sleeping whenever can very easy so just as long as I can get 8 - 10 hours in over a 24 hour period I am good even if its a number of short 1 - 3 hour shots spread out.

Interesting, i dont feel so bad now :D. Until recently i couldnt sleep more than 3 hours at a time, i take meds at "am if i have woken and sleep through until about 6am.

I cant sleep past 6am, i get itchy to get up and do stuff. My latest nightmare is rabbits, in the summer i fenced off a huge veg patch with chicken wire. Bloody rabbits still get in and destroy it! I have trenches with rocks in and wire fencing, but its still like bugs bunny city! I used to shoot them with a air riffle, but since November they are illegal in Scotland without a firearms license!

I cant get a firearms license so my mum has applied for a shot gun license. Seems very odd you cant own a air gun but you can own a shotgun!! Well done SNP, another well thought out policy o_O.

So its now a battle of wills between me and the rabbits! I take every cabbage and lettuce personally! I really like the veg patch, i also have a hydroponic poly tunnel. I am just about ready to really use it now, still need to add some controllers etc but its almost ready for next season.

The other big thing i got done was getting a mobile holiday home sorted! Hopefully we can offer short stay self catering holidays next year! It was a extremely busy summer, i never want to see another spade or cement mixer!

I always had strange hours , which after 50 yrs , my doc said for me this is "normal." for you, so as long as your mood is good, ok. no worries. Often in my career working 2 days non-stop with a major project behind schedule or a particularity challenging problem within reach of a solution. Now at 64 retired since 54, I still have a passion for computers and science which never leaves me bored and I can still drink 2 pots of coffee and stay up with 5 hrs sleep full of energy in the morning. Whereas my lady must have 8hrs or else. We both prefer nighttime.

It's often referred to as 'double sleeping' and it normal.

I've been that way most of my life. If I don't play myself out dead tired in a day to where I stay down for 8 - 10 hours I will do the doubling of 4- 5 down then 1 - 3 awake followed by a 2 - 3 top off.

Personally I can adjust to sleeping whenever can very easy so just as long as I can get 8 - 10 hours in over a 24 hour period I am good even if its a number of short 1 - 3 hour shots spread out.
Hmm, that is good to know TCM.

Your sleep pattern more of less follows mine. And like you I can sleep any hours. Sometimes I get into a 48Hr cycle: up for the first day. and then sleep for 16 hours on the second day.

There seems to be three normalizers for me: a real hot curry, a days ride on the cycle, or a good booze up. :)

spec

Interesting, I don't feel so bad now :D. Until recently i couldn't sleep more than 3 hours at a time, i take meds at "am if i have woken and sleep through until about 6am.
If you possibly can, keep off meds. When I got fairly badly burnt in an accident the hospital fed me sleeping tablets, unbeknown to me, and I ended up dependent on them to get some sleep. It was along story, but the doctors kept prescribing more and more drugs, each with their own side effects. The situation got so bad that in the end I refused to take any drugs at all. It then took about a year to get back to my normal sleep pattern.

I cant sleep past 6am, i get itchy to get up and do stuff.
That is quite normal, and is a characteristic of many achievers. Some people are up at 5am every morning without fail.

My latest nightmare is rabbits.
:joyful: Just get a couple of dogs, a few cats and a couple of ferrets and you will never see a rabbit again.

spec

Last edited:
I always had strange hours , which after 50 yrs , my doc said for me this is "normal." for you, so as long as your mood is good, ok. no worries.
Similar to what TCM says, which is further good news.

Often in my career working 2 days non-stop with a major project behind schedule or a particularity challenging problem within reach of a solution.
More or less same here.

Now at 64 retired since 54, I still have a passion for computers and science which never leaves me bored
Same principle here again, but I seem to be interested in pretty much everything.

Whereas my lady must have 8hrs or else. We both prefer nighttime.
My missus is a bed by 11pm up at 8:30pm person and anything else and she is not a happy bunny. The same with food: breakfast, lunch, and dinner otherwise she goes haywire. This is the way with many, females according to my mates.

spec

6 hrs, max, is the norm for me. Occasionally interrupted for a trip to the head.

Although, of late, I have been enjoying a short nap around 1 or 2 PM.

50 years ago, when I was in the Navy, I used to get by with about 3 hrs or so, (back then, alcohol was like speed for me...).

I tried the putting more wood on the fire, not too sure how your meant to do it. I found the wood blocked up the gas jets.
Spit up some eggnog on that one, LG :woot:!

It used to be known as "first sleep" and "second sleep" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783
It's just the natural pattern, and what we call "normal" is quite un-natural and the product of artificial lighting of one sort or another.
I used to wake up in the night quite often as a child/teen and not be able to sleep again until I'd had a hot drink and a read. It's got less as I've got older, still happens on rare occasions, but usually I'm so knackered (from always getting slightly less sleep than I need) that I'm just dead to the world. Even the clock-radio doesn't wake me for a good 15 minutes.
There was a program on the telly a while ago about sleep where they said most people are owls or larks. I'm definitely an owl - I'll quite happily stay up till 2 or 3 in the morning if I don't have work. But then I'm even more knackered when I have to get up early for work again. (Lucky I have a job I like, but the fact of having to go to work still sucks massively)
That said, I really like early mornings as a time of day in general. I'm just rubbish at them.

I know loads of people wake in the night, but i seem to wake at pretty much the same time every night, i am also extremely thirsty even though i have a drink before bed.
I don't know whether this applies, but from my own experience I know that pigging out on salty snacks before bedtime is a sure-fire way to ensure I'll wake up thirsty in the middle of the night.

Does anyone get dreams according to the food they eat- cheese gives me vivid dreams.

spec

No but i have dreampt of eating marsh mellows and woken with no pillow left :D.

I wake up several times every night. There is a voice "Wake up, there is an old man snoring so loud I can't sleep."
So I get up and look but no old man. So I go back to bed.

Snoring wakes me up too- when missus jabs me in the ribs and shouts, "Why don't you bl@#y shut up'.

spec

Funny but i only snore when i sleep, dosnt seem to happen other times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back