Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anybody know what these converters are? (video related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionITR

So I took a look what what rgb to component video converters go for on ebay and it seems like the site is spammed with things like this:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

So what exactly are these for? They obviously aren't converting the signals, they are just some kind of breakout cables. How/why are these selling? I want to put my product up (a real converter) but ebay is flooded with this garbage.

How does your product differ? They are simply cable adapters and will work if your video card supports them.
NOTE: Specific TV-out feature on video card is required, please check with your video card output specification for compatibility

How much will your adapter sell for? What do it do differently?

Last edited:
site is spammed with things like this:

what do you mean spammed? Ebay charges for them to be there.:rolleyes:

but ebay is flooded with this garbage.:confused:

How do you know they are garbage? I'd be careful with statements like that on a public forum.:(

How does your product differ? They are simply cable adapters and will work if your video card supports them.

How much will your adapter sell for? What do it do differently?

Those are just breakout cables, exactly. You cannot directly connect rgb to component colorspace without any conversion of the signal, as they are not the same. You need to do the conversion with active devices. Plus you can't even get the sync signals out with only 3 leads.

I'm targeting $15-20.

The commercial ones cost $125+, for example:

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Its true they're just wires with connectors.

If you plan on selling an active or smart cable you would have to make thousands in China just to meet a $20 to $30 retail price. Your margins would also be razor thin and IMH it's a pretty slim market for such stuff. I can buy a modern HD4550 ATI video card with HDMI out for less than $50. Almost all modern monitors & TVs have digital inputs far superior to older analog component.

Its true they're just wires with connectors.

If you plan on selling an active or smart cable you would have to make thousands in China just to meet a $20 to $30 retail price. Your margins would also be razor thin and IMH it's a pretty slim market for such stuff. I can buy a modern HD4550 ATI video card with HDMI out for less than $50. Almost all modern monitors & TVs have digital inputs far superior to older analog component.

A few things

1. I plan on razor thin margins, I just want to get my name out there and make a small profit.

2. I don't need to manufacture in china to make a profit selling for $15-20 dollars. I can get the components I need for $10 or so. The trick will be getting the PCB cost low, I still need to work out the details. Theres no reason for a converter to be costing $125 though, thats just greedy.

3. I'm targeting a niche market, sort of. You can buy an HDMI video card, but that will only work in one application (your PC), this will be generic and will work with any rgb signal.

4. I'm trying to work my way up and this will be a cheap starter project if I can move units based on a super low price.

I suspect you may be naive about all the costs involved in designing, manufacturing, marketing, selling, and shipping a product. Parts are often a small percentage of the total cost.

Last edited:
There is DVI-A (just analog RGB) and DVI-D (digital, similar to HDMI but without HDCP security protection)

This cable is just a connector converter. Delivers RGB analog to DVI-A.

I suspect you may be naive about all the costs involved in designing, manufacturing, marketing, selling, and shipping a product. Parts are often a small percentage of the total cost.

Circuit design is already done, just need to do layout. I admit naivety to the cost of manufacturing, marketing, selling, and shipping, but Im looking into a way to break into the field, this seemed like a good way to start small with low cost. I'm even somewhat willing to take a loss to get my name out there.

Can you blame me for wanting to try?

It appears to be such a niche product, aside from video cards I can't think of any devices that use only VGA outputs. The laptop market doesn't need it as every projector I've ever seen supports VGA at the very least.

Can you give us an example of a product that needs this?

Circuit design is already done, just need to do layout. I admit naivety to the cost of manufacturing, marketing, selling, and shipping, but Im looking into a way to break into the field, this seemed like a good way to start small with low cost. I'm even somewhat willing to take a loss to get my name out there.

Can you blame me for wanting to try?
My post was aimed at this comment:
Theres no reason for a converter to be costing $125 though, thats just greedy.
I can't blame you for wanting to try. I'm not sure that starting out by practically giving away products to get your foot in the door will be a successful approach to long-term success. I guess it won't hurt to try.

Last edited:
I agree with the rest, it's a niche product with a VERY small target base, most people who buy it are goiing to find it doesn't work - like those leads above don't.

I searched for video devices that had exclusively VGA outputs (no component) that weren't computers and couldn't find anything.

It seems analog video sources are disappearing fast, it's a digital world and DVI & HDMI are the norm for video.

Ahh I understand now, it's a College project. I thought you discovered a market for the thing.
I'm looking for some ideas for a (college level) senior project I can do for EE. I would like do something audio/video related, but rather do something focusing more or all on video. I'm more into solid state type of electronics (signal processing, etc) and would like to stay away from something that uses a motor or any mechanical parts.

But yeah, anyway im looking for any ideas you guys might have, with alot of challenge to it. Any idea you throw out is fine, just looking for a bit of direction.

As of right now I'm thinking about doing a scan converter type device. One that takes in a multiple types of signals (composite, s-video, component, rgb, etc), and outputs analog rgv or dvi/hdmi at any selected resolution/frequency. Designed for hookup for either a computer monitor or HDTV. Also with auto-sensing inputs if you have mulitple devices hooked up to the scan converter.

Thats the direction im heading in right now but would like some more ideas. I'm thinking the scan converter won't have enough challenge to it for a college level project. Maybe you guys can suggest any features I can add to it to make it more challenging?

I'm open to any ideas and other project ideas besides the scan converter.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back