Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anybody know anything about these cheap Variacs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
**broken link removed**

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these before I buy one. Thanks!

I recently bought a similar variac, china proceed as well, mine went for under $ 90 so it's even cheaper than that one. Works a dandy for my application(tube amp testing/repair). I watch the commuter as I turn it and I see no sparks or anything, so I'm pretty happy with the cost/benefit.

My particular model is 1 kVA 220V.

A wild guess about the 2000 VA rating: the 20A current is probably peak measurement right before meltdown(seems like tradition in china's lower end products, amplifiers, etc), do plan on using it for at most 500w/5Amp appliances continuously.

Last edited:
Also, 110 volts might actually be its input rating. So you're starting out with a 9% overvoltage right away.

And it doesn't look like anything in the Variac(r) catalog, so don't count on warranty support. All of the real Variac(r) products that I find in the catalog in this class are 120V input.

Yeah, we purchased several of that exact one from MPJA for one of our Physics labs. They will trip a 30A breaker, loaded or no load, when you switch them on. I finally talked with an engineer from VARIAC (the real VARIAC). He said that because of the large wire size on the core and low inductance you will get a whopping big inrush current at turn-on. We really didn't need 2KVA. Sent them all back.

Ken

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back