Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

any way to id smartcard chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glmclell

Hi gang!

I have a smartcard 'module' that I cut out of an old destroyed credit card, and also have one intact DirectTV "football player' smart card... is there any way to identify what devices these cards contain?

I know a windows pc isn't the best for discrete serial IO, I do have a PIC that i've been working with using Proton Plus basic... I could the pic to 'talk' to the smart card, to find out what capabilities it has but I don't know what commands to send or what format to send them in?

glmclell said:
Hi gang!

I have a smartcard 'module' that I cut out of an old destroyed credit card, and also have one intact DirectTV "football player' smart card... is there any way to identify what devices these cards contain?

I know a windows pc isn't the best for discrete serial IO, I do have a PIC that i've been working with using Proton Plus basic... I could the pic to 'talk' to the smart card, to find out what capabilities it has but I don't know what commands to send or what format to send them in?

There's no problem using a Windows PC for discrete serial IO, it's what PIC programmers commonly do.

However, both your cards are probably high security ones, probably (if not certainly) pre-programmed, and the details are likely to not be available. It's also highly likely that the cards are OTP (One Time Programmable).

If you want to play with Smartcards I would suggest buying one, that way you know what you're doing, and know that the card isn't already useless.

Commonly available ones contain either PIC or Atmel processors, and sometimes I2C EEPROM as well.

Whats cost of smartcard reader writter.

Whats cost of smartcard reader writter.
what r diff. types? whats cost?
In which language we can program the card?( write pgm on card)
In genral how does it work.

regards,
Shantanu.

A commonly used card is a goldcard
**broken link removed**

It contains a PIC16f84 microcontroller and a 24LC16 eeprom.
You program the pic in pic assembly (available from www.microchip.com)
Do a google search on 16f84, there's lots of info about it...
the eeprom can be used to strore custom data

connections are like this
**broken link removed**

You can use a normal pic programmer to program the card, all you need is a board with a smartcard connecter (to plug in the card) wich connects to a pic programmer.

Nigel's site has scematics for a pic programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back