Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any info on these motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
how are you gonna power the drill press? I was using a computer psu at first, that was the base of the press w/ wood for the platen to mount the column to. I've been just running mine off my homemade power supply now. I popped the psu when I tried using too big of a motor :)

To be honest I havent read all the posts however I did buy one of those pcb drill motors in post 1 with the chuck, and I have to say its not that good, when you fit the drill in the chuck it wobbles around, the motor is ok but the chuck isnt good, its a one piece affair, I complained and got another sent that was as bad, the cutout down the centre of the chuck is way off on both.
I was going to build a drill press using an old microscope body.
I suggest if you want to do this that you get a 540 series r/c motor and you can get the mounting bracket for it too, and get a chuck to fit a dremel type tool, expo used to do a chuck that fits a 3mm shaft and is good quality, you might still be able to get one.

At the moment it's running off an atx bench psu conversion I'm in the process of doing (and using it as I go along...). Might give it a dedicated supply with speed control. Don't know yet.

dr pepper - the chucks I bought are identical to the ones you describe, mine have nothing wrong with them and fit the motor shaft perfectly - don't even have to tighten the grub screw. Tiny spot of grease on the collet and threads made quite a big improvement in being able to tighten them fully though. It's an old printer motor so better quality than the ones on eBay I guess. The r/c motor sounds a good idea. I did think about using a bigger motor with some kind of pulley and spindle, but looks like there's no need, this is perfectly adequate.

Excellent that'll do then.
I must have had a couple of baduns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back