Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any info on these motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

I've been looking at pcb drill bits on eBay and found these motors:
**broken link removed**
a different one:
**broken link removed**

Another listing states the motor goes up to 29326 rpm:
**broken link removed**

The grey one looks slightly better as it has a metal back plate. If they're any good I can build a tolerable press drill with one.

Seeing as both my very cheap red no-name hobby shop mini drill and slightly better Parkside mini drill have just enough play to be not very good pcb drills, I wondered about getting one of these to build a pcb press drill. Does anyone have experience with these particular motors?

some of the craft shops have a small rechargable/hand held drill I was thinking of getting a few years ago. I used a pin vise/exato handle for a while untill I finished my home-brewed drill press.
I made it from a automotive window washer pump motor and scrap parts, It works great down to 5 volts.

How did you couple the chuck to the motor? I've been failing to build a big home brew press drill for the last 2 years and this was my first stumbling block. I ended up making a flexible coupling, but that wouldn't really work for a pcb drill.

Cheers ;)

Whatever you get, make sure it can take end thrust on its shaft. Ideally it would have a proper thrust bearing.

20130630_123454.jpg I drilled a pc of threaded rod for the shaft to thread into the chuck, I went through alot of chucks I tood off of cordless drills to find one w/ "very little" runout. I coupled the motor to shaft w/ O ring which is supported by 4 bearing. the "ways" are printer shafts.

I have a few motors out of old printers. Gonna have a play with em.

thx. It's about 8" high, amazing what can be made if you have a need and a good supply of junk and really cheep:) I had a stepper drive for the feed but I like the "feel" when drilling w/ small bits.

sorry, I never mentioned the motors. They appear to be just like the motors out of a printer, some use alot of amperage and really spin fast.

Mr RB, give me a few minutes, my son has to show me how again. I'm a-little computer illiterate, lol

2.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg11.jpg

Hope this size is better?

high power white led is on round pcb by chuck, a momentary switch on up/down lever, on/off switch on back plate, quill stop on lower black handle.

Attachments

• 20130630_215936.jpg
    20130630_215936.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Great photos JoeG thank you!

That is a pretty serious looking PCB drill.

Mine has a siliar sized electric motor, but with the pin chuck on the end of the motor shaft. Yours looks to have a 1:3 reduction gearing? I know that allows some larger drill sizes, but is it still fast enough for the fine PCB drills ie 0.8mm?

thanks, the motor really spins fast, I've used it w/ drills of .010" so far. at 12v it really goes to fast. Its also a 2 groove pully, smaller groove is on underside. the quill feed was neat but was just overkill :)

Threw this together today!

Not up to Joe G's standard, but I banged it together out of some wood from an old cot, a bit of old shop shelf, a rod from an old bird cage stand, some metal from the casing of an extinct tumble drier, 2 springs from some speed clamps that didn't clamp, and a very small bit of aluminium tube. The motor came from an old printer - I was surprised how many I have. I had to pick a small one because the chuck on order from eBay fits a 2.3mm shaft. I have to wait for it to arrive from China :(

Amazingly, the motor seems quite straight.

Attachments

• linkage.JPG
    linkage.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 193
That's a simple and ingenious design Throbscottle. :)

I might take a photo of my mini DC drill press and post it later. Actually, it would be nice to see everyone's drill presses. :)

@Throbscottle
Ah, a man after my own heart :). Apart from something beginning with S and ending with X there's nothing more satisfying than re-purposing what others regard as junk and getting a useful end product. It's also doing a bit to save the planet.

I took photo's as I went, so when it's finished I'll publish an Instructable :)

Nice job using odds and ends, my first one was also made of wood, and chg'd as req'd. till I went overboard :) It also would be nice to see other's use of items.

Collet chucks arrived today. Nice little things, fit the shaft very well, run nice and straight. Ran the motor on 24v to get a good speed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back