Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anti surge devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impact

Hi guys,

Once again many thanks for the info about neons, a couple of the units are now in production.
Anyhow, here's a new question for you.
Quite a while ago, I use to use a component to filter out mains spikes.
This was placed across the N and L of the supply.
What I carn't remember is the name of the damned component :oops: .
Can anyone tell me about the thing, or better still provide me with a very simple circuit to build.

Many thanks.

Impact

Do you mean a MOV ( metal oxide varistor ) ? These are most often used in surge suppressors to elliminate spikes from the powerline but they arnt of much use if there is a power sag or brownout.

power surge protector

:D hi there, i agree with nettron 1000 about the MOV, but if you still want to use such device, why dont you try Teccors SIDACtors. This item is a solid-state crowbar device intended to protect telecom equipment during hazardous condition.
These are some of the features of this device:
1. cant be damage by voltage ( as what they claim)
2. eliminates hysteresis & heat dessipation typically found with a clamping device
3. eliminates voltage overshoot caused by fast transients
4. is non-degenerative (as what they claim)
5. will not fatigue (again as what they claim)
6.has negligible capacitance making it ideal for high speed transmission equit.
I have not tried this yet but their write-up of the product is quite impressive. :D

can some on tell me

can some1 tell me how to make a simple surge/spike protector for my pc as my monitors blink and net gets disconected when some one switches on tube light.i had my pc supply via UPS which is connected to tuble lights etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back