Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ant Hazard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

transistor495

Forum Supporter
I recently bought an ~ac extension box to use with my computer. Today when I switched on I witnessed fire and short circuit inside and noticed a dead ant inside :(.

It was a high quality high guaged 3pin extension cord box which costed me bit high. I may need to re-wire the melt connections inside :mad:

I heard ants and lizards/cockroaches hazards before. Just browsed internet and found this video:-

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's frightening :eek:

Interesting... but I haven't ever experienced it when ants scurry up and about all the time around me as I type.

Inside the extension box, the only place he can make a bridge was on the neon indicator, and there exactly he formed it and got fried. I think ants got a very low resistance path and their body is full of acid/salty and so easily conductive.

EDIT:
..and it was a rare chance in my case Vizier, my bad luck, but if the group of those ants enter into any high voltage circuits, they will surely mess it up, that's what showing in the video.

Last edited:
Inside the extension box, the only place he can make a bridge was on the neon indicator, and there exactly he formed it and got fried. I think ants got a very low resistance path and their body is full of acid/salty and so easily conductive.

EDIT:
..and it was a rare chance in my case Vizier, my bad luck, but if the group of those ants enter into any high voltage circuits, they will surely mess it up, that's what showing in the video.

I see. I have repelled them before using black seed oil, but it collects dust quite fast. Did you use any repellent?

Actually there was not that much problem with ants, couple of weeks back I have kept some sugar packet(used for making coffee) opened and these giant red ants came attracted. When I removed it they were almost gone. Apart from that, there isn't any regular problem with ants in my house to use a repellent.

The resistor used with the neon bulb was actually catching fire, today I bought couple of new neon bulbs to replace it :)

I had ant problems for years.
Both small red ants and carpenter ants.
I bought a spray bottle of "Spectracide Bug Stop" at the local Ace Hardware store and have been entirely free of ants for the last 2 years.
This stuff worked when others were less effective
Great stuff!!

I had ant problems for years.
Both small red ants and carpenter ants.
I bought a spray bottle of "Spectracide Bug Stop" at the local Ace Hardware store and have been entirely free of ants for the last 2 years.
This stuff worked when others were less effective
Great stuff!!

Hey Pat, I really liked your ant experience :)..

Great to know that it worked for you.

On a side note, those spray type insecticides may contain inflammable ingredients, and do not ever spray onto fire! These kind of danger reported here, like somebody sprayed those inside kitchen area when cooking gas were on operation and everything caught on fire!

Hey Pat, I really liked your ant experience :)..

Great to know that it worked for you.

On a side note, those spray type insecticides may contain inflammable ingredients, and do not ever spray onto fire! These kind of danger reported here, like somebody sprayed those inside kitchen area when cooking gas were on operation and everything caught on fire!

Not sure on this one as it isn't in a can with pressurized propellant.
It has a manual pump.
It is a "Water Based" formula and is listed as useful both indoors and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back