Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

annoying electronics building habbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mashersmasher

so got any? i do in fact one of the worst i have is flinging excess solder on my iron in any direction. another one is where i work on something with the idea of just getting the basics done and i get into this zombie like state where i put the whole thing together in a mess of wires. the next day i can't figure out how to work it. another thing i do is use my teeth as a wire stripper/cutter for wires and solder.

Yeah, this is really a bad idea. I used to install car stereos using my teeth as wire strippers; now I have little chips out of my front teeth.

In an even dumber move, I was attempting to loosen a nut on my drum hardware a few years back using my molars as a wrench. I snapped one of the peaks of a molar clean off. I carry a tool kit now.

Use tools. I used to be in the butter-knife-as-screwdriver and teeth-as-tools school but I've learned better. :)

As far as annoying electronics habits goes, I have a horrible tendency to either not finish one project because I get into another one, or else work one project to death while ignoring others.

Torben

I guess that is why you are called Masher Smasher.

I used to strip wire with my teeth but I grew out of it. I now tend to be as neat as I can with prototypes and circuit boards but I still flick the solder everywhere and my work area is incredibly untidy.

Mike.

Still my best cct wire stripper is my teeth.

Same here my work area also completely untidy.Electronics Workbench, Parts, Study books & computer all in my living room.Its too messy.Even I try to keep it tidy gets messy very soon.

But I more concentrate on the circuit.I really need a quality sexy circuit design.So I always building it nicely.

... another one is where i work on something with the idea of just getting the basics done and i get into this zombie like state where i put the whole thing together in a mess of wires. the next day i can't figure out how to work it...r.

That is one of the main reasons I make a PCB for most prototypes. With Eagle you have a schematic and a board with (to some degree) labels at every point in the construction. I have boards from my point to point days that I am nearly clueless about. But nearly every PCB has a rev number that I can tie back to a schematic and if the world is right a software project. Which is a nice segway to my bad.

I have a lot of unfinished projects. WIth the execption of the ones I make for my class there is no strong reason to finish them. Even when the electronics and software are finished they seldom end up in cases.

Last edited:
My teacher said hot solder landed on his eyeball once. That kinda scares me into being careful. I use a snips for stripping wire, but I should buy wire strippers.

If Mike did that he would probably get more problems 'down under' boom!, boom!

LOL, as it happens, when I was a boy, I woke one morning and rushed downstairs in my pajamas as you do. I had an Airfix model that needed to be finished. You will not believe how much pain Airfix glue on sensitive areas can cause.:eek:

Mike.

Used to work with an engineer that stripped wire with his teeth. One day he stripped a 277v signal wire, while it was hot. Turned his tongue and some teeth black, that was the last wire he ever stripped like that.

I can see his epitaph: Here lies a real live wire.

BTW, a crown for a broken tooth is about $800 in the US. Chipped teeth are less, but still cost more than a wire stripper.

John

A foolish thing, I only did once:

Fumbled and dropped a hot soldering iron, and quickly grabbed and caught it before it fell on the floor!

As I said, I only did it once, the pain was excruciating.:eek::eek::eek:

Ever since then, my view is "sod the carpet", let it drop and then pick it up at leasure.

JimB

I instinctively moved my legs together (sitting down) to catch a multimeter lead I'd fumbled. I caught the lead, with my legs below the knee, so that the lead with my calves/shins formed a kind of "H." The force of me moving my legs together quickly like that drove the pointy bit right through my jeans and a good half inch or so into my leg.

I really didn't know what to do at first, and just sort of stared at my leg, with the jean leg nailed to it, thinking, "What did I possible imagine would go wrong if I just let the multimeter lead drop?" So I pulled the lead out of my leg, which made a kind of gross, squishy sound. Surprisingly, there wasn't really much blood and only a bit of a bruise.

Last edited:
i use a soldering iron tip cleaner similar to this one. **broken link removed** it works very well for me

Keeping work area Clean !

I'm obsessed with the little ends of plastic after stripping the wire. I don't know why or where I got that, I'm not tidy ?

I have to use my left hand to hold the solder Iron, I'm right handed ?

I stopped flinging the solder on the floor they won't let me get away with it at the University. I use those brass wool things and it works great you just jam the the tip into it. I like it because it stops the smoke from billowing.

I have to check all my connections 5 times ? 5th time is the charm I guess.

A foolish thing, I only did once:

Fumbled and dropped a hot soldering iron, and quickly grabbed and caught it before it fell on the floor!

As I said, I only did it once, the pain was excruciating.:eek::eek::eek:

Ever since then, my view is "sod the carpet", let it drop and then pick it up at leasure.

JimB

I did that once but with MOLTEN peanut brittle right off the stove. Instinctive reaction to save the carpet. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back