Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anemometer Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeild

Does anybody have good anemometer circuit that would work with a 8051 microcontroller. I would like to read in the measurement from the anemometer to the 8051 and then display the information onto a LCD display.

Hi I remember seing a nice circuit in a magazine using an optocoupler (CYN37 i think) and a comparator for level conversion. the blades of the anemometer were coupled with a little blade that passed through the optocoupler when they spined. So u need a counter and some math to get the actual wind speed. I'll search for the magasine mb and scan it these days.

The attached file contain a schematic diagram of a very good anemometer it is from EDN magazine . It could be easily interfaced to 8051 microcontroller

Attachments

• AIRFLOW.PDF
    157.3 KB · Views: 3,206
kamdy said:
The attached file contain a schematic diagram of a very good anemometer it is from EDN magazine . It could be easily interfaced to 8051 microcontroller

The article is for an variation of the hot wire air flow sensor. If it is like similar ones I have seen it will not measure the speeds required by an anemometer. More useful to sense the air speed in a HVAC.

A non-mechanical anemometer is better done with sound.
The circuit cellar had an online article on building one

This is based on the Scenix SX28/20 microcontroller. You can adapt the design to work with any microprocessor that is fast enough to get the job done.

EDIT: On closer inspection this system uses 3 SX28 MPUs and another SBC to gather info from them. Might be more then you are looking for.

If all you want to do is count pulses from a mechanical unit try looking at the material online for the Easter Egg anemometer. You should find the interface info needed.

Last edited:
Nigel Goodwin said:
EPE did an ultrasonic anemometer a couple of years ago, it used a single PIC if I recall correctly?.

Maybe QUASAR PROJECT # 3168 - EPE WIND SPEED METER

Has code and schematic and you can buy a kit.

The EPE design has to be pointed into the wind. It has one transducer pair. Also seems to be limited to winds of about 50MPH.

After a big blow how fast the wind blew is always a topic of interest at morning coffee/doughnuts.

Anemometer

There was a great article in Silicon Chip magazine last year, re an anemometer built with a videorecorder motor used as tachogenerator to provide the pulses to drive a analogue or digital read out

If i find the magazine i see if i can copy the details of it for this forum.

Hello Guys
I am designing an ultrasonic anemometer that measures wind speed and direction. I am using four 40kHz transducers and PIC18F452 to calculate the wind speed and direction. Now I am struggling to amplify the received signal and converting them into digital form. Please help me with ideas good friends. I only have two months remaining to finish the project.

Thanks
Vuyani

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back