Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplifying a sense resistor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smanches

This is taxing my opamp skills, as I cannot figure out how to set the gain when you have a differential input.

I've attached each input to either side of the resistor, with normal VDD and GND connections. I can see it working, but the gain is way too high.

Anyone learn me how to reduce the gain in such a setup?

Last edited:
I'm using a single output opamp though, since I want the output to be from VDD to GND based on the voltage drop of the resistor. How do you setup the feedback with a single output?

Looked through the document, but there doesn't seem to be this setup.

It would be much easier for me to have a visual aid. Could you please make a schematic of the differential circuit you have? A differential circuit needs two things to difference.

Read about differential amplifiers here.

A better circuit hence to input impedance is a instrumentation amplifier. It's described here.

Looks like an Instrumentation amplifier is what I need. Thought a single opamp would have done it.

Thanks.

Does your opamp have a single-polarity or a dual-polarity supply?
Some opamps have inputs that can sense a voltage that is at the positive supply voltage.
If the opamp does not have a negative-polarity supply then some opamps have inputs that can sense a voltage that is at 0V.
A new kind of opamp is "rail-to-rail" and has inputs that can sense a voltage at the positive supply voltage or at 0V.

What is the voltage that you want to sense?

I've worked it out using a couple of AD8227 instrumentation amplifiers. They are rail-to-rail with a programmable gain. Also handle wide supply voltages and have very rugged inputs. Since this is going into an auto, I want it to be very robust.

I'm just trying to amplify the voltage drop from a high side sense resistor in a buck converter. At max load it only develops 100mV, which I figure would be too error prone to put straight into a PIC. I'm configuring the amps with a gain of 40, which will make the max load drop 4V, giving me an extra volt to measure the over current itself.

I haven't built it yet, but this seems to be the way it's done, after many hours of research. :)

I've worked it out using a couple of AD8227 instrumentation amplifiers. They are rail-to-rail with a programmable gain. Also handle wide supply voltages and have very rugged inputs. Since this is going into an auto, I want it to be very robust.

I'm just trying to amplify the voltage drop from a high side sense resistor in a buck converter. At max load it only develops 100mV, which I figure would be too error prone to put straight into a PIC. I'm configuring the amps with a gain of 40, which will make the max load drop 4V, giving me an extra volt to measure the over current itself.

I haven't built it yet, but this seems to be the way it's done, after many hours of research. :)
It should be a lot simpler and cheaper than that. Try Googling "high side current sense amplifier". There are lots of them available.

Here is a circuit I use on occasion. It doesn't require an extensive instrumentation amplifier.
If you make all the resistors the same value the voltage difference between point a and point b is 1/2 the voltage across the sense resistor.

Attachments

• Sense Resistor.JPG
    Sense Resistor.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 149
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back