Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

amplifier for "BIG EAR" listening device

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'll make one to listen to conversations in other cubes. It'll look cool towering over my cube wall, and it'll worry the hell out of my co-workers :)

A Half Round Dish would be good, ONLY IF it Were a Real Parabolic Shape.
Just being a Bowl shape, Doesn't mean it directs much sound to the mic.

A true parabolic is Quite Useful and will direct all sound to the mic.
And just put a Cup around your mic, to help prevent pickup from the sides.

I have a lot of experience with this and made Many of these devices.

This is true. I have taken various mathematics and physics courses that have studied the nature of parabolas, ellipses, and spheres, and their focusing qualities. When I said a "bowl" shape, I meant a sphere cut in half. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that in this case, the focus would be halfway between the bottom of the bowl and the center of the (used-to-be) sphere.
Der Strom

A sphere doesn't have a focus in the same sense as a paraboloid has. Part of the sphere around the "axis" might approximate a paraboloid to a certain degree, and so you might get an approximate focus. It won't be the same as the focus of the original sphere though, and the focusing of the energy won't be as strong.

Last edited:
7 watts of pure power!!!

To blow the eardrums out!! LOL
No I was thinkingh of 7 watts so I could use a speaker instead of a headphone then more boys could hear what the BIG EAR is picking up instead of one at a time PLUS I have 5 on hand (L4950TA).
BUT have a switch that can turn the volume WAY DOWN for using a headphone ( a switch so a preset volume is used, someone can't be "funny" and turn up the volume.
have a dip switch combolock to control the volume.
remember we as adults have to be smarter than the kids.
you never know what kids will do. be perpared for anything.
I need to investigate the 2n5088 and 2n5087 transistors. maybe sub using 2n2222
2n3906?

BUT have a switch that can turn the volume WAY DOWN for using a headphone

You should have limiting resisters on the head phone jack anyway.

I need to investigate the 2n5088 and 2n5087 transistors. maybe sub using 2n2222 2n3906?

Sorry maybe I missed something but what are the tranys for?

Andy

There is a definitive math formula for the parabolic curve as used in a sat dish.

I believe the math formula for the focus of a parabola is Y^2=4px, where Y is the radius of the dish, x is the depth, and p is the distance from the vertex of the parabola to the focal point. For example, let's say you have a dish that has a 50cm diameter and a depth of 10cm. The radius (Y) would be 25cm (1/2 diameter) and x would be 10cm. Therefore, (25)^2=4p(10). Then, solve for p to get the focus: 625=40p, so p=15.625. The focal point would be 15.625cm from the vertex.
As always, please correct me if I am wrong, as I am still learning more about parabolic reflectors.
Der Strom

No I was thinkingh of 7 watts so I could use a speaker instead of a headphone

I tried this once with the circuit I attached in my first post on this thread and the feedback was extremely loud and piercing. Just keep this in mind ;)
Der Strom

Last edited:
I have a big ear listening device that I built using 2 LM386 ICs 32 years ago. I can hear people over a mile away talking and it sounds like they are standing right next to me. As I recall the LM386 have an amplification of 200 so 2 in series is 200 x 200 = 40,000. You need a volume control on the first stage so it will not over drive the second stage. You need to couple the output of 1st stage to the 2nd stage with a capacitor. Mine runs on a 9 volt battery but 12 volts works much better. I am using a cheap quality 6" x 9" speaker as the microphone, point it in the direction you want the listen it acts like a dish and pics up sounds like you won't beleive. This is an extremely simple device to build it only requires 11 parts to make the ICs work. If you need more power output you can add a LM3886 IC it will give you 68 watts with a 4 ohm speaker, 38 watts with a 8 ohms speaker, 135 watts peak to peak and it is so simple it only required a few parts too.

If you want the circuit drawing I still have it but it might take me a day or so to find it. If not I can probably draw a new circuit from my circuit board with all the parts soldered to it. You can probably build this in about an hours work.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
To blow the eardrums out!! LOL
No I was thinkingh of 7 watts so I could use a speaker instead of a headphone then more boys could hear what the BIG EAR is picking up instead of one at a time PLUS I have 5 on hand (L4950TA).
BUT have a switch that can turn the volume WAY DOWN for using a headphone ( a switch so a preset volume is used, someone can't be "funny" and turn up the volume.
have a dip switch combolock to control the volume.
remember we as adults have to be smarter than the kids.
you never know what kids will do. be perpared for anything.
I need to investigate the 2n5088 and 2n5087 transistors. maybe sub using 2n2222
2n3906?

Those are Not good Subs.
I can mail you the 2N5088 and 2N5987 Transistors, If you want them.

I have a big ear listening device that I built using 2 LM386 ICs 32 years ago. I can hear people over a mile away talking and it sounds like they are standing right next to me. As I recall the LM386 have an amplification of 200 so 2 in series is 200 x 200 = 40,000. You need a volume control on the first stage so it will not over drive the second stage. You need to couple the output of 1st stage to the 2nd stage with a capacitor. Mine runs on a 9 volt battery but 12 volts works much better. I a using a cheap quality 8" speaker as the microphone, point it in the direction you want the listen it acts like a dish and pics up sounds like you won't beleive. This is an extremely simple device to build it only requires a few parts to make the ICs work.

If you want the circuit drawing I think I still have it but it might take me a day or so to find it. If not I can probably draw a new circuit from my circuit board that I etched with all the parts soldered to it.

An 8 Inch Speaker as the Mic? Pretty Poor Impedance Matching to the LM386 Input!
And Definately VERY LITTLE Directional Ability!

An 8 Inch Speaker as the Mic? Pretty Poor Impedance Matching to the LM386 Input!
And Definately VERY LITTLE Directional Ability!

The speaker is connected to the circuit with a tiny little speaker transformer hooked up backwards. Perfect Impedance Matching. No one uses speaker transformers anymore so this may be the hardest part to find for this circuit all the rest of the parts are common. Remember back in the stone age when speakers used a impedance matching transformer? Maybe your not from the stone age?

Last edited:
The speaker is connected to the circuit with a tiny little speaker transformer hooked up backwards. Perfect Impedance Matching. No one uses speaker transformers anymore so this may be the hardest part to find for this circuit all the rest of the parts are common. Remember back in the stone age when speakers used a impedance matching transformer? Maybe your not from the stone age?

Actually those tiny transformers are Still QUITE READLY AVAILABLE.
("Mouser", 42TL Series of transformers.)

But as I said, Your Speaker will pick up in All Direction, Unless it is put into a Parabolic Dish.

Also, the Frequency Response of an 8 inch speaker is Pretty Limited.
A Tiny Transistor Radio Speaker (if 2 or 3 Inches) would be somewhat better.

this one mile distance sounds far fetched but then maybe not?
I would be interested in this setup you have.
I think I have said transformer I purchased from Radio Shack last year but never used. just need to .
locate
If you can locate then post schematic

A parabolic microphone is limited to higher frequencys anyway.

Not REALLY. That Depends on the Size of the Parabolic and Mic.

I have a 6 Foot Diameter Parabolic and it also gets Considerable Bass Response.

Last edited:
I have a 6 Foot Diameter Parabolic and it also gets Considerable Bass Response
At 6 feet in diameter ya maybe, but try and get good bass out of one using a 18" SAT dish.
Ummmm ... no.
Ummm... Ya! look it up. The wavelength of low frequencys is so long a small dish will not pick them up. Andy

Ummm... Ya! look it up. The wavelength of low frequencys is so long a small dish will not pick them up. Andy

Look it up where? ( Show me ) I might believe if you said the dish favors higher frequencies. But it's incorrect that it won't focus mid and low frequencies. A dish, say 1/2 meter in diameter, is close to the wavelength of about 700Hz, which is certainly not high freqeuncy. And it gives good response in the mid range from 1000-4000hz. The rolloff of the gain with lower frequency is about 5db/octive, according to the chart here.

PS Sorry, I kept adding to this as I read more through the article. What's really interesting is the chart in fig. 6, which shows the gain vs angle from the source. Up to 30 degrees, there was virtually no difference at the lowest frequencies.

Last edited:
Actually those tiny transformers are Still QUITE READLY AVAILABLE.
("Mouser", 42TL Series of transformers.)

But as I said, Your Speaker will pick up in All Direction, Unless it is put into a Parabolic Dish.

Also, the Frequency Response of an 8 inch speaker is Pretty Limited.
A Tiny Transistor Radio Speaker (if 2 or 3 Inches) would be somewhat better.

A 2 or 3 inch speak in place of the LNA in a DirecTV dish might work. The dish would make it much more directional that what I had. I use to pick up people talking that sounded like they were standing right next to me, we use to drive around in the car trying to find them. Sometimes we could drive in that direction a while and loose them sometimes we would drive a mile and be pretty close to them and still could not find them. After dark it is hard to see people they could be setting in the back yard in the dark.

I am still looking for the circuit drawing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back