Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alternator Exciter Wire Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rotor draws between 0.5 and 4 Amps. Depends upon what the output load of the alternator is.
DC resistance is around 3 Ohms.
For 10 Amp load my guess is around 1 Amp value.

I have a circuit somewhere in my archives in which I used in an Australian made Ford Falcon for 12 years with no problems at all.
The Email alternator died which had an external electro-mechanical regulator, and I used an old Renault Paris-Rhone alternator
It uses a 2N3055 transistor, Zener and a few other parts.
Excitation is via a 3 Watt lamp.
I look for it and will post it.

The rotor draws between 0.5 and 4 Amps. Depends upon what the output load of the alternator is.
DC resistance is around 3 Ohms.
For 10 Amp load my guess is around 1 Amp value.
I have a circuit somewhere in my archives in which I used in an Australian made Ford Falcon for 12 years with no problems at all.
The Email alternator died which had an external electro-mechanical regulator, and I used an old Renault Paris-Rhone alternator
It uses a 2N3055 transistor, Zener and a few other parts.
Excitation is via a 3 Watt lamp.
I look for it and will post it.
Thx- you obviously know about alternators. I would like to see your regulator circuit.

spec

Hi spec, I have worked a lot with alternators, generators and starter motors before I ventured in the High Voltage power industry in the late 1988's .

I did find the old schematic which I found in an old Electronics Australia magazine from the early 1980's.
also redrawn it on a clean piece of paper as the glue has printed through the edges.

Some alternators give clean external access to the brushes which is perfect for this circuit as a simple 2N3055 transistor can be used which is cheap and reliable.

I also fitted this circuit in a V8 Rover P5B with a Lucas alternator which is still running fine,
WIN_20160622_155222.JPG
WIN_20160622_155156.JPG
and must have been in service for over 20 years.

Hi spec, I have worked a lot with alternators, generators and starter motors before I ventured in the High Voltage power industry in the late 1988's .

I did find the old schematic which I found in an old Electronics Australia magazine from the early 1980's.
also redrawn it on a clean piece of paper as the glue has printed through the edges.

Some alternators give clean external access to the brushes which is perfect for this circuit as a simple 2N3055 transistor can be used which is cheap and reliable.

I also fitted this circuit in a V8 Rover P5B with a Lucas alternator which is still running fine,View attachment 100095 View attachment 100096 and must have been in service for over 20 years.

Thx RODALCO: interesting, informative and useful.:cool:

spec

This is a Bosch altenator circuit to suit the above regulator. The CRO waveform is the voltage across the Rotor.
BOSCH ALTENATOR.jpg

Thanks for that schematic too, great for alternators where the negative of the rotor is direct on the ground. Brilliant work in unpotting that Bosh regulator.

Hy debe,

I know it is probably obvious to most of you, but you couldn't describe what the scope trace is showing: where it is connected and also what current the alternator is supplying.

spec

The scope trace is the voltage a cross the field. In the circuit above the .047uf cap & 1k resistor provide a feed back circuit to make the circuit oscillate to reduce the heating of the output transistor.

This is the current draw on the Field circuit of a 60A altenator with very little load & then about 45Amps.
BOSCH ALT. D+ current Min.JPG
BOSCH ALT. D+ current Max.JPG
BOSCH ALT.2.JPG

This is the circuit of a Lucas altenator, the field on these is fed voltage straight from the field feed diodes. Ive added the circuit values when I dismantled one of these regulators.
LUCAS ALTENATOR.jpg

This is the wave form across the Field windings. One is a load of about 5A & the other about 20A. What changes is the frequency & the Duty cycle.
ALT ROTOR.5A.JPG
ALT ROTOR. 20A.JPG

Thanks debe for your excellent photo's and scope images.
It proves also my data re the rotor current varying between 0.5 and 4 Amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back