Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Request advice regarding sourcing for brushes for Honda CRV alternator

75Gremlin

I'd like to refurbish the alternator for a 2005 CR-V. My plan is to replace the front bearing (the one closest to the alternator pulley) since that's the one that has the most stress applied, and also replace the two brushes. Honda sells the brushes, but they are almost $100 for the pair! The Honda OEM brushes do include the springs (see attached photo) which is an advantage. Does anyone know of an alternative source to buy good quality brushes? From what I've read the main failure points are the bearing and these brushes. If anyone has a recommendation for replacing other parts while I have the alternator apart, please advise. Thank you.

Attachments

• alternator brush photo.jpg
    alternator brush photo.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 52
Is there a reason you can't get them from Honda's supplier? Hmmmm. identifying that alternate supplier might be a problem, especially if they only sell in the Japanese market.

Is there a reason you can't get them from Honda's supplier? Hmmmm. identifying that alternate supplier might be a problem, especially if they only sell in the Japanese market.
Probably - about seven years ago an elderly (fairly rich, really nice, but now unfortunately dead) guy I knew through work had a pretty new Range Rover, and a high end one as well - but the alternator failed on it. He was waiting for an alternator for seven months!!! - apparently they came from Japan, and there were thousands of Range Rovers in the UK waiting for replacements.

Back in my day alternators were either Lucas or Bosch, and you could get replacements, refurbished ones, or spare parts in pretty well any town in the UK.

"Is there a reason you can't get them from Honda's supplier?"

Thanks. If no other recourse I'll buy the Honda OEM parts, but they are richly priced for two tiny brushes and hope to find an alternative aftermarket part.

Last edited:
Last edited:
You should be able to have some made to specifications quite cheaply - we've had odd size ones made by Morganite in the past and the cost was peanuts.

There are likely other similar companies around the world.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back