Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alternative to Outlook Express?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeCrashKop

Most Helpful Member
I am reluctantly trying to make friends with Windows 7 after being given this computer.
HP Notebook PC Intel 2 GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors.
It works fine after a factory reset.

I have 4 aol email addresses for different purposes, 1 obsolete BellSouth and now 1 for Comcast. I am used to Outlook Express managing all of them at once with no signing in and out. Outlook Express won't work with Windows 7.
Outlook.com Is almost working for some of them and not as smooth.
Is there a good alternative?

For a freebie, you may consider Windows Live Mail. It is similar to OE and will handle multiple accounts. It is not a stable as OE and has a few quirks, but they are easily gotten around. I have had it up and going for about 2 years. I believe you can also use Outlook. My version was too old, so I didn't try it.

John

Mozilla Thunderbird?

Edit: Nigel beat me to it!

Why not use Mozilla Thunderbird? (it's free) - I wouldn't touch any of the Microsoft email programmes, as they are too targeted by scammers.

I've been using OE since my start with email.

How good (practical) is it Nigel? Maybe upgrading my PC thus Win version soon.

I have been given outlook 365 email... Because I'm with BT... I actually like it... My XP machine at work can access via outlook express but at home on my windows 7 machine I use 365... It seems to be similar to live mail but better..

But!! If it weren't free I would use live mail... This is a free download on vista / windows7/8..

I've been using OE since my start with email.

How good (practical) is it Nigel? Maybe upgrading my PC thus Win version soon.

Well I started with email long before Outlook :D

For years I used Turnpike, but when it was discontinued I looked for something else, and settled on Thunderbird - I find it excellent and have installed it on most of the computers at work.

Outlook from Office 365 is excellent, i have used it a lot. The company i work for used to have it but they switched to gmail. Not sure if you can monitor multiple accounts at one though. You could always set up your other accounts to auto-forward your email to a single account made for that purpose that works on Windows 7.

Matt

Live mail works using any MS mail to save or extract your contact list.
But you can disable the option to acquire mail from this mail server (hotmail or msn etc) and aggregate it on gmail from gmail online... Add mail server.

Then using livemail choose IMAP not POP get all email from any computer . And if any deletes or reads mail , all computers stay in sync when they sync for mail.

Security options are internet restricted, so you want to view links as images, one must change the security option in live mail, which is included with what Microsoft calls Live Essentials. Which then adds messenger which is obsolete and upgraded to Skype and includes optional other stuff.

Filter rules work well for sorting moving mail into folders or junk.
Junk button works well, but check Bin then empty Bin.
Check Junk folder for what MS considers Junk, and if unregistered friendly mail, click Not Junk then in Inbox click Add contact or visa versa.

Many options for views, arrangements, but note the command tabs have different menus instead of all in one.
Explore or more features not mentioned.

Live mail supports image copy paste to new mail better than OE6 and uses slideshow , attach file or create image folder in new mail by drag N drop.

Win7 used Winmail, which is now dead in Win8 which offers no email included. So use online gmail in any browser or Livemail or Thunderbird or socalled Outlook Mail online after logging into MSN or online Livemail whatever you know best. They all work but different UX.

The best tool is the one you know how to use.

Last edited:
Thank you all
I got Windows Live Mail working very similar to my old Outlook Express. Even the obsolete BellSouth that was receive only is working for send also.
And thanks for the IMAP info. I will look into that too.

In order to use Calendar events and Contact list, you MUST have a hotmail or MSN or any MS email registered in Live mail even if you choose not to SYNC MS mail. Create the account but disable SYNC with download email in Options Mail accounts.

I have an old friend who refuses to use an acct with MS or Google. ( big brotheritus)
Butt choosing either gives you access to all the addon features of personal cloud storage and contact list backup.
Now there's the rub...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back