Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alternative for 6502 Ben Eater's Computer Kit? (YouTuber, https://eater.net/6502)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 18F series are pretty impressive (my favourite is the 18F27K42 with 128K of ROM), however the 32 series are even more so.

This thread is about 6502 type systems, and a 32 can easily be used to create a BASIC interpreted system, similar to a PET even using the processor to create the video for a VGA monitor.

There's also a later colour version, and then a second colour version based on an ARM controller instead of a PIC.

Historically I'd have loved a tiny 6502 based project board, but that's such a long time ago, and micro-controllers have really rendered them long obsolete.

The 18F series are pretty impressive (my favourite is the 18F27K42 with 128K of ROM), however the 32 series are even more so.

This thread is about 6502 type systems, and a 32 can easily be used to create a BASIC interpreted system, similar to a PET even using the processor to create the video for a VGA monitor.

There's also a later colour version, and then a second colour version based on an ARM controller instead of a PIC.
I've followed Geoff's work for a long time. Incredibly nice work. His PIC32MX based 'ASCII Terminal' works like a charm...

ASCII Terminal Board.jpg

Historically I'd have loved a tiny 6502 based project board, but that's such a long time ago, and micro-controllers have really rendered them long obsolete.
I enjoy the challenge and the nostalgia. It's interesting (to me) to be able to build a 'retro' computer for pennies compared to what it would cost back in the late 1970's or early 1980's. A 16K upgrade for my Apple ][ cost $150 back in 1979 where now I use a 64K or 128K SRAM chip that costs 67¢, and pretty much any 8-bit CPU costs about a dollar.

The RCA CDP1802A is an interesting CPU and I'm tickled that I can build a system for about $10 that I can use to teach myself '1802 programming.

Attachments

• 1802 4-chip #3.jpg
    1802 4-chip #3.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 1802 4-chip #4.jpg
    1802 4-chip #4.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 1802 Rev IIa.png
    1802 Rev IIa.png
    234.8 KB · Views: 187
Status
Not open for further replies.