Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alcohol Consump Frequency vs Amount

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could tell you, but I personally have not tested or tried it.
But this is sure, animal fat is not good for you.
Don't care what Atkins said, I'll stick to that, have seen it through and through.
We have a tremendous heart failure rate in SA, but unfortunately some bad habits when it's time to eat, I'm sure it stems from back in the day when people were still travelling on horses etc. here in SA.
It became tradition to consume large amounts of fat. And most farmers died and left their wife's with farms to run, especially in the Afrikaans community.
It's been proven many times locally that animal fat causes bad cholesterol, and a measure of controlling it is cutting out the bad fat.
In the same sentence I would like to add, ditto anything deep fried.

So yes, I guess it probably is more complicated than that. But some fats just are not good. Accept it as that.

This isn't what Atkins said, it's a totally independent study.

If you read the Wikipedia article, you'll find that there are other studies that have found improvements in cholesterol who have been on high fat low carbohydrate diets.

Sorry, I forgot to post the link to the srouce for the above quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_research_related_to_low-carbohydrate_diets

Not all the articles about low carb diets have been good and I'm not suggesting that they are.

I just think your reasoning is out dated, I suppose I can't blame you as the dangers of animal fats have been drummed into everyone over the years.

It's known that a high protien diet induces a state known as ketosis. This is when the body starts using fat and protien for fuel and is what happens to someone when they're starving. The difference being in this case they aren't, it's just the food they're eating is the similar in nutritional value as flesh and fat. I think what happens is because the kidneys are converting fat to glucose, the cholesterol is being consumed and not left in the veins and arteries clogging them up.

This is different to being on a normal diet high in both carbohydrates and animal fat, in which case the body isn't in ketosis and all the cholesterol is left to clog the veins and arteries.

This is an oppinion I've formed from reading many articles about this stuff. I'm not saying it's right, I just think that the body process foods differently when the main source of energy is switched from vegitable matter to animal matter.

I'm not that fat, I'd just like to loose a bit round the middle. I've been thinking about going on an Atkins type diet for awhile now. I've tried the GI diet and it worked but I put the wieght back on over about three years.

I know about most of the risks but I feel that the general consenses now is that the Atkins is both a faster and easier way to loose weight. I only need to loose a couple of stone (12.7kg) at the most so I won't need to be on it for very long.

Maybe I'll wait untill I move out of my parents, that way I can choose what I eat.

Oh sorry for derailing the thread, if you want to bring it back on topic then please feel free to do so.

Last edited:
If you have to ask someone else if you're drinking too much, you're an alcoholic, ask on an electronics forum and you're going to get a whole lot of numbers that don't mean a whole lot to the individual. A 6 pack in a day is binge drinking, a six pack on the weekend is border line binge drinking and over consumption at the very least. Individual metabolism even in weight/body type class can vary DRAMATICALLY (to the point of being lethal) from one individual to another. The medicinal effects of alcohol occur bellow the realm of human perception, and most of those are related to red wines where there are antioxidant benefits. Never justify drinking ANY amount of alcohol by weather or not it's 'good' for you. ANY level of alcohol intake on other than a random extremely long term basis is a bad idea. From someone that knows I would at your point immediately decrease over the long term and immediately decrease the 'peak' drinking you do NOW. A primary sign of being or having the ability to become an alcoholic is justifying the intake of alcohol itself at any level for any reason.

If you have to ask someone else if you're drinking too much, you're an alcoholic, ask on an electronics forum and you're going to get a whole lot of numbers that don't mean a whole lot to the individual. A 6 pack in a day is binge drinking, a six pack on the weekend is border line binge drinking and over consumption at the very least. Individual metabolism even in weight/body type class can vary DRAMATICALLY (to the point of being lethal) from one individual to another. The medicinal effects of alcohol occur bellow the realm of human perception, and most of those are related to red wines where there are antioxidant benefits. Never justify drinking ANY amount of alcohol by weather or not it's 'good' for you. ANY level of alcohol intake on other than a random extremely long term basis is a bad idea. From someone that knows I would at your point immediately decrease over the long term and immediately decrease the 'peak' drinking you do NOW. A primary sign of being or having the ability to become an alcoholic is justifying the intake of alcohol itself at any level for any reason.

I don't care if it's good for me or not in the most technical of senses. I'm not justifying it at all. I'm just doing it because I want to, but I'd like to keep it at a point where there are no long-term side effects.

I've already decided I'm not going to have a drink for 3 weeks and note the changes. Right around now is when I usually have my drinks every week. One thing I've already noticed is that the stuff that used to get my angry is actually making me angry again. Related to that is that lifting weights 7 days from my last drink (rather than the regular 1 or 2 which is when I usually do) is that lifting weights also gets my anger pumped up. These things used to happen all the time before I started this routine drinking. Not exactly the greatest results so far, but what you going to do?

Last edited:
Hero999, you make an interesting statement there, making a lot of sense.
I would still be scared, because if your body is in the wrong state, you can harm yourself.
I think any time you have lost weight, you need to keep some routine of exercise and good eating, otherwise you'll get it back over a period of time.
A lot of these powder based diets also work without side effects, like the herbalife and related stuff. Just if you're interested.

Sceadwian, I actually agree with you on that, alcohol is a dangerous substance, that much of it is not a good idea, us humans form habits that are broken with difficulty to easily, and before you know it, you're in a bad place.

dknguyen, if you are drinking because of an anger issue, stop, and rather find what is making you angry within, sort that out. The drinking route is no solution.
I'm talking from experience, anger is a mental thing, a physical thing will not fix it, just get you in trouble more.
Anger is a lot of times something that you are blocking up inside, many times you do not even know what, because you are actually hiding it from yourself.
Get help from someone who knows how to get to it, sort it out. You'll see, your quality of living will become much better. Without external factors influencing it.
Heck man, send an e-mail to dr. Phil if you have to.;)

Good luck with that.

Oh, I know exactly what it is that's causing me to get riled up so easily. It is primarily due to a lack of people to hang out with- both guys and girls. All the guys are out of town for the summer working and all the girls are back home for the summer and with no venues to meet new people of any kind I'm kinda stuck. There are no venues around here other than school (which is out for the summer- quality girls but hard to get to know) and one bar (more alcohol? plus not so quality girls) to meet the people I'm interested in. And most any social place (ie. like a bar) or anything really doesn't seem to go over so well if you don't have at least one friend to come with you in the first place. Yes, I've tried it. Yes, I've tried it several times . No, I won't try it again.

Lack of guys around isn't really a problem in itself, but no guys means no distractions or support.

THe fightin' spirit isn't what I have a problem with. It's the inevitable crash that occurs after a lot of effort with zero progress. Being disenchanted after the way some (or should I say most) of the way girls have behaved doesn't help either. You should NEVER forsake honesty for politeness. Part of the problem is I grew up "in the incorrect neighborhood" as well as the "wrong side of the city" and went to "the wrong schools" so my social circle has absolutely zero connections with the social circle of interest which would make things much easier. Actually, that's false. There are two distant connections, but they're both racist as far as guy-girl matters go, so no thanks.

THese new braces don't help either.

I expect the problem to self-correct when school starts again and everyone gets back, or the next time everyone gathers together for a party. Seems people complain that I don't drink at parties- probably because there are actual people to hang out with.

We'll see how orange juice suffices as a substitute for the next 3 weekends. I had some last week while watching a concert and I thought "Hey, this stuff is really satisfying. And it seems that I can drink a bunch of it and not get sick from all the liquid like I normally do." We'll also see if this riling up will make me feel like doing something about it. I got tired of all the futile effort the last time though.

Last edited:
Yes, don't you hate it when people classify others according to external factors, like where you live, what car you drive, what work you do or who you know.

Us idiot humans.

That doesn't even make sense. Factors around you does not determine you, you determine you, and you determine the things around you, for your unique reasons.
Go figure, people are strange things.
People also tend to want to stand out/be unique by all conforming to the same thing. Have you noticed.
That's to laugh at.
How naive can we be. Real idiots I think.

Any case, good luck with that.
Oh and don't worry about the braces, a lot of people had them and survived.

Oh, I know exactly what it is that's causing me to get riled up so easily. It is primarily due to a lack of people to hang out with- both guys and girls. All the guys are out of town for the summer working and all the girls are back home for the summer and with no venues to meet new people of any kind I'm kinda stuck. There are no venues around here other than school (which is out for the summer- quality girls but hard to get to know) and one bar (more alcohol? plus not so quality girls) to meet the people I'm interested in. And most any social place (ie. like a bar) or anything really doesn't seem to go over so well if you don't have at least one friend to come with you in the first place. Yes, I've tried it. Yes, I've tried it several times . No, I won't try it again.

Lack of guys around isn't really a problem in itself, but no guys means no distractions or support.
I've been like that for the last two years since I finished college.

I only have one friend who I see about once a month, I don't mind being on my own but I do get quite bored. I have joined a couple of clubs but I haven't really found anyone who is single and have something in common with, either male of female.

I don't drink much as I don't go out much. I don't really have much motivation in general and spend most of my free time on forums like this one - they're pretty adicitve.

I've tried going traveling and doing other things which have improved my confidence but I always get hooked on the Internet when I get back home. I don't know whether this is good or bad. I supose it makes me feel happy to have helped people on forums like this one.

THe fightin' spirit isn't what I have a problem with. It's the inevitable crash that occurs after a lot of effort with zero progress. Being disenchanted after the way some (or should I say most) of the way girls have behaved doesn't help either. You should NEVER forsake honesty for politeness. Part of the problem is I grew up "in the incorrect neighborhood" as well as the "wrong side of the city" and went to "the wrong schools" so my social circle has absolutely zero connections with the social circle of interest which would make things much easier. Actually, that's false. There are two distant connections, but they're both racist as far as guy-girl matters go, so no thanks.
I agree with arrie here about prejustice but we all have it.

As far as the honesty vs politeness thing is concerned, it depends on the situation often you might think it's rude to be honest even though it's the best policy for both parties.

For example, you're staying with a group of people and someone cooks you something you don't like. You could do the polite thing and pretent you like it or be honest and say you don't like it. What I would do is eat the meal and then say I wasn't that keen on it. This is better for me because they know I didn't like it so won't cook me it again and it's better for them because they know I'm being truely honest when I say something positive about thier cooking.

However, if somone has a big nose or big ears, poking fun at them won't help you or them it'd be just being rude for the sake of it.

I admit I can be sometimes rude, I don't mean to be I can just often be a bit abrupt in the way I say things but this can be a good as well as a bad thing.

Lol, I remember when someone in the Ukraine asked me if I like lard, "Lard? You mean fat?" I said, they said "Yes, pork fat.", I said "That sounds totally disgusting!", they said "Well it's our national dish.", I thought to my self "Whoops I might have offended them.", I just smilled and luckily they didn't seem too offended.

THese new braces don't help either.
Don't worry, it's a temporary thing, when they're gone you might actually receive complements about your nice teeth.

I expect the problem to self-correct when school starts again and everyone gets back, or the next time everyone gathers together for a party. Seems people complain that I don't drink at parties- probably because there are actual people to hang out with.

We'll see how orange juice suffices as a substitute for the next 3 weekends. I had some last week while watching a concert and I thought "Hey, this stuff is really satisfying. And it seems that I can drink a bunch of it and not get sick from all the liquid like I normally do." We'll also see if this riling up will make me feel like doing something about it. I got tired of all the futile effort the last time though.
At least your problem will go away, I'll just have to keep tying to motivate myself to try new things or I'll end up living with my parents for the rest of my life and that would be sad.

Hero999,

don't give up dude.
I've been a loner almost my whole life, I actually thought that's the way for me, then by freak I met my wife, I was already late in my twenties if I remember right, we stuck together, shaped each other a bit, then pulled it through.
Now I have two beautiful little children, my boy being born only late March this year.
And as all those other people said, only then do you understand the meaning of life, you'll see it carries water.
All the other things that happen along the way are actually just that, things that happen.
Even now, I have very few friends, but barely see them because we've become so spread out. It doesn't bother me too much though.
What is important is, along the way not too make too many stupid decisions that will f-up your life forward.
Otherwise ride the wave, and every now and then turn your board sideways.

A good diet does not reverse coronary artery disease .. it only reduces part of the risks. There is only one program that has been proven to actually reverse CAD and that is the Dr. Dean Ornish Program. It's a combination of diet, yoga, exercise, and peer support. It's a serious lifestyle change that many Americans cannot tolerate but the results are a measurable improvement in cardiovascular health.

I worked at a large hospital for 11 years, learning much from the medical staff but it wasn't until I suffered a mild heart attack 7 months ago, did I really learn the deep info. behind CAD. Luckily I only lost 5% of my cardiac output and I have no other risk factors other than high cholesterol from genetics, not my diet. Because of my current cardiac meds, I cannot consume alcohol so the benefits of red wine are substituted by drinking pure grape juice. The anti-oxidants are just as plenty in the juice.

Don't forget the apples

I cannot consume alcohol so the benefits of red wine are substituted by drinking pure grape juice. The anti-oxidants are just as plenty in the juice.

Remember the study could not conclude it was more of a general proposal of all the category's including procyanidin is of the most of the polyphenols from Red Wine is found in apples.

kv Cheers , Crunch. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back