Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice on developing a magic effect(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

en2oh

Hi there,

I'm hoping I can interest somone with some time to invest in a project that would allow recording of a message, "on the fly" when the medium (current versions use cassette tapes but I could see a real value in updating this to a CD disc or similar) is placed in the device.

In essence, the media is sent, in advance to a participant in the audience/activity supposedly with a prediction of a news event or outcome of a mentalist effect performed that evening. In the case of a cassette as the medium, the medium is write protected and sent in a sealed envelope that doesn't get opened until after the effect is revealed. The medium is placed by the spectator into the recorder/play and the play button pressed. The gimmicked player plays the prediction apparently recorded weeks before. Obviously, the device must record the message on the fly, and since the cassette or CD is given to the audience member as a gift of the performance, it must actually write this information. The recorded message or messages (ie to be able to do this with several members is a potential addon) would need to be recorded wirelessly from off stage by a 3rd party who is aware of the results of the bit that this forms the completion/reveal.

There are also a few other effects that have real commercial value and I'd be interested in talking about developing these, if anyone is interested.

Thanks guys,
Have a great day,
n|trous

You could probably do this, but the bigger question is, do you really think you could find enough credible suckers to fill out your audience? Who would believe such a stunt? After all, any of your equipment would be suspect, at least by anyone with half a brain.

I'm just sayin' ...

Hello,

Running motors hum and vibrate a little so the person might be able to detect it running.

You could probably do this, but the bigger question is, do you really think you could find enough credible suckers to fill out your audience? Who would believe such a stunt? After all, any of your equipment would be suspect, at least by anyone with half a brain.

I'm just sayin' ...

Well, you'd be surprised! Seriously, this type of effect plays very well, with sufficient stage presence. As to the noise, there really wouldn't be any reason why the message needs to be played off the media. The recording of the media might (when the spectator gets home) have some hum or noise but what the audience will hear is a simple digital recording. The media gets recorded as the audience hears the message which will have to be remotely set by wireless microphone.

Does that clarify things?
Thanks for the reply.
Doug

carbonzit, you've obviously not done much research into the human condition =) I don't think carbonzit would be just surprised so much as flabbergasted.

People WANT to be fooled. They will go to the ends of their own conscious existence and beyond (hypnotysim) to believe something for a moment that strongly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back