Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Additional Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

krismoly

Hi Folks,

I'm new to pics.

I have a number of projects in mind that require some sort of portable memory. (two Identical units, and the memory will be transferred between the two units).

I have thought of using usb memory sticks....but have been advised that this would be extremely difficult.

I need approximately 1mb, (it will only be used for storing ascii txt.) a possible solution is to use sd memory cards.

I dont have a clue were to start! So any links, advice, or ideas would be extrememly welcomed.

Kind Regards
Kris

Using an I2C serial eeprom 24C1024?

Example of I2C memory access is easily available from the web and it is easy to bit-bang it on PIC that does not have dedicated I2C interface pins.

Thanks for that eblc1388.

Is the 24c1024 a chip or a memory card?

If it is a chip then it is not suitable because it would be to cumbersome to keep swopping the chip between units.

Regards
Kris

Use an SD/MMC card. The interface is 3.3volts serial and can be read from virtually any micro controller. You can get them in sizes upwards of 2 gig, and they're dirt cheap. Do a google search you should be able to find a TON of information on the protocol. Digikey sells sockets for them. Or you can homebrew them, the form factor is simple.

Sceadwian said:
Use an SD/MMC card. The interface is 3.3volts serial and can be read from virtually any micro controller. You can get them in sizes upwards of 2 gig, and they're dirt cheap. Do a google search you should be able to find a TON of information on the protocol. Digikey sells sockets for them. Or you can homebrew them, the form factor is simple.

EPE also have a currently running series about interfacing them to PIC's.

krismoly said:
Is the 24c1024 a chip or a memory card?

If it is a chip then it is not suitable because it would be to cumbersome to keep swopping the chip between units.

Regards
Kris

Yes, it is a 8-pin DIP. You'll need a 5-pin connector to connect it to a board.

If you like to go the SD/MMC route, please get some more information at Wiki about its features first, as it is a closed standard.

I might be wrong but it appears to me that using SD/MMC is about as difficult as to read/write an USB memory device. One would need quite a bit of PIC memory to implement such routines. If you found any additional open source information or links on interfacing them using PIC ASM codes, please post them here.

eblc1388 said:
I might be wrong but it appears to me that using SD/MMC is about as difficult as to read/write an USB memory device. One would need quite a bit of PIC memory to implement such routines. If you found any additional open source information or links on interfacing them using PIC ASM codes, please post them here.

Like I said above - read EPE, tells you everything you need to know, and gives the source code as well.

Essentially there are two methods, a simple write to memory, and a method that maintains PC compatibility - so you can read the card in a PC.

Though I have not subscribed to the EPE magazine, the source file on what Nigel described above is available for download on the EPE UK website. It is under the PIC "Pick n Mix" section inside the Download area, date December 2006.

EPE Download Area

I have downloaded it and have a look and it is quite involved.

For the specification of SD I/O requirement, one can get the simplified (or full version if you have US $1000 to burn in your pocket) version in pdf here.

simplified version of the SD 1.0 specification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back