Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adding 12v input on battery fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuee123

hi,
I have a camping fan light that uses 4x D Batteries. I want to add a DC socket on the side so i can plug my 12v solar battery into it.
What circuit would be the best for this or can i step it down with resistors?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Depends on how much current the fan uses. With 3 D batteries, probably not all that much, so a simple buck/boost converter could change the 12V to 4.5V easily. For up to 2A current, ones like these would do:

Alkaline D cells can have a capacity of ~12Ah so the current could be higher than 2A. Hence my question above.

Mike.
True, one would need to know the current load of the fan. There are buck/boost converters that can supply more current, like 5A to 6A and still be quite compact and efficient.
Original post had 3x D cells, I see the poster edited his question after I had answered about 3 D cells. 4 D cells makes no difference for choosing a buck converter. It is just the current rating that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back