Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AD - Converter calculations ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetDevil

Hey guys i was wondering if you could help me out with my calculations.

I'm currently working on a project were we use an ultrasonic sensor to measure distance and later will convert to speed. the output from this is equal to 9.8 mV per inch.

We are using a 10bit AD-converter and we have chose to only read the 8 MSB. and now comes my problem: how do i calculate the output from the ADC to the actual distance?

my reference voltage is 2.5V

I really hope you can help me because i'm stuck(Brain freeze).

You've just said that the sensor provides 9.8mV per inch, so 98mV will be 10 inches, 980mV will be 100 inches and so on.

I suspect you will need to amplify the sensor output to give the best resolution you want it amplifying to 2.5V at the maximum range you want.

You've just said that the sensor provides 9.8mV per inch, so 98mV will be 10 inches, 980mV will be 100 inches and so on.

I suspect you will need to amplify the sensor output to give the best resolution you want it amplifying to 2.5V at the maximum range you want.
Yes but i want to use the AD-converter result i.e. 37(decimal) at aprox 82 inches - to later on convert to speed. i guess my problem is that i don't understand the result from the conversion.

Have a read of my analogue PIC turopial which explains it a bit.

Thank you but i think i understand the basict with the resulution and such. but its just my result that makes me doubt.

Can it be because i don't take account the two LSB? i mean when measuring at aprox 1/3 of its range it gave me 37 and i just don't understand why when i have a 10 bits AD-Converter i mean shouldn't it give me 1/3 of 1024?.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back