Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Acer Aspire 5742Z Laptop Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does appear that the top is commoned to the component to the left. I'd solder it in place using the bottom pad then add a fine strand of wire across the top to act as a bridge between the two components.
Thanks I have done this I used some solid core hookup wire 22awg. It seems to have done the trick. Do you think this wire is to thick? It seems now the motherboard is as it was before still not supplying power to the rest of the board but back to before i ripped the diode off the board. The area where the diode is, it does seem to be getting hot but this was happening before as well. I’m thinking the next step is to inject some voltage and find the short. I’m thinking that IO chip has turned off the power using the power supply mosfets as there doesn’t seem to be any power past the second mosfet when checking the voltage. This is just my thinking as I said im new to this, what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Just an update, i have done some more investigation and now have completed a voltage injection on to the motherboard, and a mosfet was heating up/shorted the device number on the board reads - PQ87 and from the schematics document it says the part number is - TPCA8030-H_SOP-ADV8-5. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which mosfet this is? So I can try and make an attempt to purchase it online please.

That device (TPCA8030-H) is obsolete; data here:

They are still probably available from some suppliers, just beware counterfeits.

There are several very similar ones using the same package & pinout; this may do? It's a slightly higher "on resistance" but at the same time, slightly higher current rating:

This may be better if it's just a power switch as it has very low on resistance, but not if it is part of a switched-mode power supply; its a slower switching one so would have higher losses in that application:

That device (TPCA8030-H) is obsolete; data here:

They are still probably available from some suppliers, just beware counterfeits.

There are several very similar ones using the same package & pinout; this may do? It's a slightly higher "on resistance" but at the same time, slightly higher current rating:

This may be better if it's just a power switch as it has very low on resistance, but not if it is part of a switched-mode power supply; its a slower switching one so would have higher losses in that application:

Appreciate that information that helps a lot. I have taken a picture of the board with the component arrowed in red, see link below. It looks like a dual set up with another pair of mosfets, the big metal bracket on the left of it is where the CPU sits on the other side of the board. So you reckon then its a switched-mode power supply to the CPU with this sort of set up?

Appreciate that information that helps a lot. I have taken a picture of the board with the component arrowed in red, see link below. It looks like a dual set up with another pair of mosfets, the big metal bracket on the left of it is where the CPU sits on the other side of the board. So you reckon then its a switched-mode power supply to the CPU with this sort of set up?

Any help on this guys please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back