Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Accellerometer Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilFord

Does anyone have a simple circuit diagram for a constant current signal conditioner. I want to interface an ICP type accelerometer with an oscilloscope.

A constant current source can be made from an LM317 - see National's datasheet for more info. I do not know if the available range suits your needs but it is simple and low cost.

Not sure what other conditioning you need but filtering might be useful if you want to eliminate some noise or unwanted information - all depends on what you are doing. I cannot tell you what impact the use of the LM317 has - some characteristics are frequency dependent however I do not know to what degree these play out in the current regulator configuration.

I recall pulling some good "signal conditioning" application guidelines from TI or a similar website. Applications info for the sensor you've selected may address that.

From what I could gather by searching for "ICP accelerometer", I think you need a voltage-controlled current source with bipolar capabilities. Do a Google search on "howland current". One example is here.
If you need more details, I'll help as time allows.

Attachments

• Accelerometer_Driver.gif
    Accelerometer_Driver.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 534
Last edited by a moderator:
Mechie, I think you're correct, except it appears that you may need to use a PNP current source (or a constant current diode). the attached figure is Fig. 7 in this document. Apparently the source follower which is integral to the transducer is P channel.

Attachments

• ICP_pwr.gif
    ICP_pwr.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 460
It is quite noticable that many people joining the board resurrect long dead topics, often as in this case, started by someone who has never returned.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back