Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ac motor and limit switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuke

Hi everyone,
I need some help as my knowledge is limited in this department. What I'm trying to accomplish is make and egg turner or rocker for an incubator. Picture a kids seesaw with a pivot in the center that rocks up and down. I have a small AC gearmotor reclaimed from a microwave turntable that is attached to a type of cam linkage to make the seesaw go up and down. What I need to know is is it possible to attach a couple of micro switches to stop the motor at the top and bottom of the stroke. This will also be attached to a timer to start at specific times. Any help greatly appreciated.

You need a 2 rpm motor, 2 micro switches, a time, a spoon, some tape, the egg and a relay. Attach the spoon to the motor. Put the egg in the spoon use the tape to keep the egg from falling out when the spoon rotates. The timer turns on the relay the relay contacts latch and hold the relay on even after the timer goes off. The motor rotates 180 degrees the micro switch breaks the relay circuit and it goes off.

You wire the two normally-closed contacts of both micro switches in series with the motor power, positioned to stop the motor at the top and bottom of the stroke. To start a cycle, have a timer momentarily (some type of one-shot) apply power to the motor, bypassing the micro switches. As soon as the rocker moves enough to close the open switch, it will then continue to move on its own until the opposite switch opens and stops the cycle.

The one-shot could be a 555 driving a relay. Its period must be sufficient to cause the rocker to move enough to close the open switch but less than the time it takes for 1/2 cycle of the rocker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back