Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC inductor help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
I am trying to source AC inductors, I know these are difficult to source off the shelf, even if you could suggest a manufacturer that could make them that would be exteremly useful the following are the properties I am after:

Inductor 1:
22uH, 13 Arms, 17A Peak

Inductor 2:
10uH, 20 Arms, 26A Peak

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Art

Are these powerline (50/60 Hz) Hz?

If so, if you know a transformer manufacturer, they can custom-make some for you. Emphasis on custom.
Essentially, instead of interleaving the E and I laminations, you form a stack with only "E"s on one side and the "I"s on the other.

Then empirically start adding nonmagnetic spacers to create an air gap between them. That air gap will be very small 3 mm or less. Usually you may require of kapton film layers.
Once that you have achieved the desired inductance, set the gap with hard epoxy.

The resulting assembly will be VERY NOISY. You'll have to pot the complete assembly in a can filled with tar-pitch. Similar to what magnetic ballasts employ.

Are these powerline (50/60 Hz) Hz?

If so, if you know a transformer manufacturer, they can custom-make some for you. Emphasis on custom.
Essentially, instead of interleaving the E and I laminations, you form a stack with only "E"s on one side and the "I"s on the other.

Then empirically start adding nonmagnetic spacers to create an air gap between them. That air gap will be very small 3 mm or less. Usually you may require of kapton film layers.
Once that you have achieved the desired inductance, set the gap with hard epoxy.

The resulting assembly will be VERY NOISY. You'll have to pot the complete assembly in a can filled with tar-pitch. Similar to what magnetic ballasts employ.
Yes these are power line, I was afraid it would come to that I will try the suggestions out I was hoping there was a ready made solution out there thanks Art

The inductance values are so small that you don't need an iron core, and you could easily wind these yourself with some heavy copper wire. #20 AWG for the first one and #10 AWG for the second one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back