Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

? about building a distance meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

stravy

I am interested in building a distance meter that interfaces through a laptop or computer, can measure distance from a few inches out to about 4 or 5 feet with a +-0.5% accuracy, fairly repeatable, and can measure off wood, metal, plastic and concrete. I was reading through the forums for the available technology and it looks like ultrasonic (ex. devantech ultrasonic range finder) and infrared (ex. Sharp) sensors are the two options. The problem with those two technologies was the accuracy was not up to spec.

Just doing a search for distance meters on the web I found the following items:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Both of these are closer to my required accuracy spec. What kind of sensors are these two items using, is the technolgy commercially available, and is it possible to build a rudimentary bench test setup for proof of concept? I don't necessarily want the cheapest option so don't worry about money. It would be nice to find something like the Phidget line that interfaces with the computer easily and has its own API but that is not required. Any information anyone could profide would be helpful.

Thanks

KMoffett-

Thanks for the reply. I took a quick look at that brand. The minimum range listed for the LT7 is 0.5 meters, which isn't quite close enough for the measurement range I need. I appreciate it though.

Ultrasonic tranducers are common in applications like this, and the closest you can generally get is limited by the generation of the signal before getting the echo.

I wouldnt mind getting further into it myself, and from what I've read in the past, most ultrasonic sensors work in the range of 40Khz.

So if you create a burst containing a 40Khz PWM signal, then record the time it takes for the echo to be recieved, then you know that Distance = Time * Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back