Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A tracking device

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlicRic

Hi,
As part of a school science project that I am doing I require a tracking device, I will hope to use it at the end of my presentation as a finale, I have seen simillar posts to this using a simple transmitter but the one I need has got to be a little more powerful anyware in the upwards range of 400m 500 metres being ideal, I am guessig that the circuitry will have to be quite complicated to get this range, but then again maybe not, could someone please provide me with an appropriate design please?
Thanks, Mick.

P.S This should be an RF transmitter, if you provide circuit diagrams could you please say how I can pick up the signals!

As part of a school science project that I am doing....could someone please provide me with an appropriate design please?:rolleyes::rolleyes::(

The lousy old BA1404 FM stereo transmitter IC was replaced by a line of much better ones by Rohm years ago. All the new MP3 to car radio transmitters use the new ones. A few kits still use the discontinued lousy old one.

From your other posts, you were asking about the 535 - 1605 kHz band. Is this still the case?

Microtexan: As a response to your post I need someone to provide me with a device to track someone, I dont need to show how well I can design a xmitter, I need to show the many uses of radio, OK

SlicRic I think the purpose of the exercise was for YOU to determine these methods, not to ASK other people how those methods might be determined. Don't try to chide Microtexan because you lack imagination.

Okay thankyou all for your replies, i do not lack imagination, i could very easily have designed a simple tracker of my own but i lack the experience at 14 years of age to build one that covers 400m or more, i was just asking for help.

Hi SlicRic,

that was an absolutely honest reply. Congratulations!

I'm still missing something very important: Tracking means at least obtaining a relative bearing of the "target".

Transmitter and receiver characteristics are of less importance for now.

So my question to you: How would you "track" without knowing the direction?

To find out the direction of a target you'll need a set of two antennas: one omnidirectional antenna and a loop antenna.

Read about that (ancient) system googling for NDBs (Non Directional Beacon), which are still in service in 3rd world countries serving for air navigational purposes.

After having studied NDBs you might come back and have more precise questions.

Regards

Boncuk

Here is a simple tracking transmitter that will reach 400metres. Use a 6v supply. You may have to adjust the 10k.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
How about taping a sign to a person's back and use good binoculars to track them with. That's good for 400 meters. If you use a small telescope, you could get miles of tracking distance!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back