Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A student asked me for code for a project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screech

I programed and designed a scrolling clock.
Then, some one asked me if they can have the code.

Is it right/wrong to give a student a code for a micro-controlled project, if they ask for it?

and, What if you don't know if they are student or not?

To give or not to give? :?

Screech said:

Is it right/wrong to give a student a code for a micro-controlled project, if they ask for it?

if he is requesting for help for developing a similar thing(may be intends that) , then it is better to guide him rather than giving ur code .

Due to the abundance of pic hardware/software on the Internet it would be very easy for someone to patch together bits of code and get a working project. Consequently, lecturers are expecting the student to have a thorough understanding of the code they submit. For a student to submit your project as his/her own work would be difficult unless they spend a lot of time learning your code intimately, in which case, they should pass anyway.

Mike.

Hiya Screech,
Personally I'd say NO, especially after reading this months siliconchip mag today. It seems every project they do these days you have to buy a pre-programmed chip or a full kit from the rip off merchants Jaycar, Altronics or Dick Smith(woolworths). Originally I was thinking of posting all my projects on my website, code and all but why spend months coding and debugging a project just so other people can rip your project and take credit for it or even go commercial :shock: . It's up to you mate but you could maybe program the pic, code protect it then sell to him/her. Just my thoughts mate and it's really upto you what you do.

Cheers Bryan :D

Screech said:

From the way, you worded the question, you're not sure if the guy is a student or not. And even if he is, you're not sure if he intends to submit your code as part of his project.

What if he's just a curious guy (a student or not) who wants to get started on programming PICs and needs a sample of good PIC code?

What if a guy comes in and asks for your code so he can use it in his job? Are students a lower class and so, they deserve less help?

Screech said:

It is like people posting details of projects they built on a webpage. One has absolutely no control over who is going to read/use the information.

A smart guy would learn from what s/he sees and gains something in the end while a copy cat would learn nothing.

Ultimately, the only question is "What you gonna lose by giving out the information?". Let the person decide how the information is to be used.

What I ment was, is it good or bad for the student, if I give him the code?

I'm only trying to look after his intrest.

If i didn't care, I would give my code without a thought.

I'm asking you guys because you are the students, and you would know if it would help or not in his studies.

I have never believed that students a lower class and so, they deserve less help, Motion. Don't know how you came to that conclusion.

Anyway, I've yet to get a thanks for my code.
Didn't even hear the magic word when asked for it.

All that matters, is that it helps him out.

There is a difference between privately giving code to a student and them getting it from a website.

When I was at uni (2 years ago), they would run everyones subimssions through data mining software. This would look for similarities between students work, it is also able to spider the internet to see if the student has plagiarised from the web.

If you privately give code to a student and they submit it as their own, depending on the nature of the assignement there is every chance that they will take full credit for your work...

Regarding what is best for the student, I say dont give him the code.
Most people would learn more by trying things themselves(and failing), than reading something which works perfectly.

As someone who has learned a lot by looking at, and trying to use other peoples code, and, or, circuits, I just had to give my 2 cents here.
I would say, by my years of experience with people (I've taught in university, btw,) that there really are two kinds of people.
There are those who have the ability to question themselves, and those who think they are always right. Usually the former are very polite individuals, who have what it takes to learn from someone else's work, and adapt it for their own needs The later just demand help, seem to have no respect for anyone, and blame the helper when they are unable to use the help.
Helping those in the first category is usually very gratifying, as one can see what they have done with what has been given them.
Helping those in the later category is usually painful, and disheartening.

The open source movement is encouraging my faith in my fellow man, and I believe, helping mankind in general, to move ahead.

I'm quite repulsed by those who think of themselves as geniuses, with original ideas which are worth a fortune, and for which they should have all the accolades and get really rich. Ideas come from ideas, and the genius, in most cases, is myth.

If someone does put their name on your research, and try to pass it off as academic, or commercial, you do have recourse, although it may be too much to do the right thing, and prove you were first.

I don't have a black and white answer; I don't believe there is one. The whole reason I enjoy electronics is that there usually aren't black and white answers, rather myriad paths to similar conclusions.

This is rubbing up against one of my pet peeves, which is the global myth of experience. No two individuals profit the same from an experience! Yet industry blindly asks for x years of experience, without concern for the many other factors.

I hope there is some value for you here.
Best wishes,
Robert

If I were to give a B&W answer, my answer to the question is a NO.

Unless of course, it was just some code I whipped up in 1 or 2 minutes, any code I spend a lot of time doing would be code I will not share.
and if I did share it, then people that obtain the same processor or microcontroller can use it to their advantage, and if they do it as a career, you have possibly handed them free money (from the code).

so if I were you, I wouldn't give code out. BUT, if it was a student that was struggling, then you explain to him/her what he/she is stuck on.

I never learn from reading someone elses code. I instead learn from instruction sets, reference manuals, and datasheets.

Nigel Goodwin said:
mstechca said:
I never learn from reading someone elses code. I instead learn from instruction sets, reference manuals, and datasheets.

Now THAT explains why you never learn much! :lol:

This is where I consider Nigel as a GOD and mstechca as a DOG, maybe we should re-name mstencha as a reversed god with his posts

Just my Thoughts

Cheers Bryan :D

Nigel Goodwin said:
mstechca said:
Now THAT explains why you never learn much! :lol:

Let me put it this way, learning by reading someone elses code can be a nuisance. If it was very short, and to the point, I might consider reading it and understanding it, but if it is a 50-page code, then I will look at the manual first that came with the code.

This is where I consider Nigel as a GOD and mstechca as a DOG, maybe we should re-name mstechca as a reversed god with his posts

a reversed god? LOL
I got more brains than a dog :wink:

Reading long bits of code can be painful, but it can give you another opinion, an insight into how someone else thinks, and new ways of looking at your problems. The 50 pages of code will say a lot more than any manual, or discription of the code.

I'd guess, based on your short attention span, mstechca, that you are very young.
Regards,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back