Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A small motor to move car amp up and down

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad353

Hi

i would like to now what would be involved if i was to set up a small motor making it move about 45degress

it is for a car amplifier in a custom boot build but i understand that i need a small stepper motor of some kind?

Can any one help me on the basic stuff that would be invovlved

Cheers
Adam

ad353 said:
Hi

i would like to now what would be involved if i was to set up a small motor making it move about 45degress

it is for a car amplifier in a custom boot build but i understand that i need a small stepper motor of some kind?

Can any one help me on the basic stuff that would be invovlved

Cheers
Adam

Probably a radio control servo would be better, lots more power, smaller, and easier to control.

What are you actually trying to do?, it's quite possible there may be a better way of doing it - this way is rather crude (a bit like using a broom handle for a remote control!).

My son asked me a similar question a while ago. While not a direct answer - consider a piston driven by compressed air with a small compressor and storage tank tucked away. Lots of cars have compressors for levelling systems so something could be found at a junkyard.

A vacuum motor can supply a lot of linear force with maybe a couple of inches movement. The vacuum is supplied by the engine - be careful not to admit that much air or you'll affect the operation of the engine. Lots of small vacuum motors can be found on heating controls of cars. Large ones are used on older cruise control systems.

A passive method - the "strongarms" or gas filled pistons used to hold hatchbacks or rear windows open might work. You'd push it down and latch it in the lower position - unlatch and let it open.

Have fun.

A linear actuator is what you are looking for.Motorized amp racks are nearly always made with these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back