Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A simple qestion...(plese)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone Electro

How do i know the capacity of a ceramic capacitor? :?:

If on the capacitator is labled:
LP

Then the capacity is 104 pF? :roll:

PS:
I know its a stupid qestion but i never used a ceramic capacitor!

It works very similar to a resistor code except minus the colours. So your 104 capacitor is in fact 1 0 0,000 = 100nF. The third digit is usually the multiplier if you haven't already guested!

reading cap values

Olly's answered the question perfectly well, just piping in with my $0.02.
Most caps are spec'd in pF, unless otherwise indicated. Just convert the 3rd number on the cap to zeros, so 103 becomes 10,000pf => 10nF => .01uF. and 104 is 10 0,000pF => 100nf => 0.1uF. Engineers prefer to move the decimal point three places at a time, it's simple and easy to remember. Small-valued caps usually have only the pF number printed on them, so you'll see something like 47, or 680. A capacitor's physical size is a rough indicator of how to interpret the number printed on it, though watch out for the newer "supercaps" (1 Farad@2.5V in a thumbnail sized-package can be found).

It probably isn't needed on this board, but

pF = picoFarads = 10^-12 Farads
nF = nanoFarads 10^-9
uF = picoFarads 10^-6

- CAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back