Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A simple freakin' ICSP cable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I scoured Sparkfun, and Jameco, and Digikey, but no one seems to carry a simple PIC ICSP cable! What's the dilly, yo? Links or websites where I can buy one are greatly appreciated.

Buy some 0.1 pitch header pins, and solder and heatshrink some multi-core wire on them. (pins on both ends, obviously! :D) Works a treat, and is cheap.

What I do on my one row headers, is to solder the short ends together (two strips together with shorties on the inside) and solder them. I then have 2 long leads on both side to use. Works great with the 2x5 header.

Blueroom, did you make those cables yourself? If so, any tips for stripping the ribbon cable? Last time I tried it went nowhere, and messed up!
Edit: The reason I suggested pins on both end is that I use a PICkit 2, and breadboard. Other systems, obviously, will need different connectors. Principle is the same, it's quick, easy n' cheap!

Zanes,
I think Spency's Tutorials (by Gramo on Electro-Tech) included a video tutorial about making cables (perhaps not ICSP, but same idea)-- he used ribbon cable, so perhaps you can pick up the technique:

**broken link removed**
Look for the "DIY - Polarized Headers and Straight Header Leads (7 Minutes)"

-Omar

Cheers Omar, just what I needed. Don't know whether I'll ever use it, but it's good to have the knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back