Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A sensor to detect ground disturbance

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucent

Hi it's my first post so forgive me if straight away I'm looking for help.

I'm attempting to design and build a small circuit that will detect vibrations in the ground. Ideally it would be able to screen out animals and activity on top of the surface. and only detect if the the ground itself is disturbed eg by digging. I had intially intended to use an accelerometer, but I really need it to be able to screen out just general movement. Also I'd ideally like it to have as long a range as possible.

I intend to output to an analague to digital converter, and then to a PC so if neccessary I imagine the PC can do some of the screening. I'm hoping to keep the costs well below $100.

I'm starting to suspect this project is at the edge of my ability but I would appreciate any and all help.

I think you find it difficult to differentiate "digging" from any other disturbance.

I think you find it difficult to differentiate "digging" from any other disturbance.

Sorry If I was a bit confusing. To clarify I only want the alarm to soil if the earth is disturbed not by someone simply walking across.

An idea. Bury a loudspeaker in the ground. Maybe good idea to seal it in a poly bag first.

An idea. Bury a loudspeaker in the ground. Maybe good idea to seal it in a poly bag first.
Better still, an electret or dynamic mic burried.

Heck., if you're cheap, eve a piezo disc traducer might work.

Reminds me of something I saw on mythbusters - they used a drum to listen for mining hundred of metres away. The loudspeaker idea may work, as long as it's sensitive enough. Depends largely on the range at which it needs to work. Adjust the gain of whatever circuitry you use to process the results so that it won't be concerned with footsteps but will notice shovels, etc. striking the ground.

Better still, an electret or dynamic mic burried.

True, a microphone would probably do the job better.

Last edited:
Am I perhaps looking at this the wrong way?. Should I be looking at something that would instead detect the metal in the shovel. Would I be able to lay a magnetised cable that would detect another metalic object in proximity?.

I wouldn't know exactly how to build such a device, but I would imagine the buried microphone idea would be cheaper and easier, and probably use less power.

Am I perhaps looking at this the wrong way?. Should I be looking at something that would instead detect the metal in the shovel. Would I be able to lay a magnetised cable that would detect another metalic object in proximity?.

How long / wide is the perimeter (no shovel zone)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back