Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A question of amazing (fool) style of charging inverter's battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nepaliman

I have made a inverter with 12 V, 45 Amp battery. Its output is 220V AC, 100 watt. If I connect a charger transformer on its 220 V AC out and if I charge its own 45 amp battery at same time from its own output, WHAT WILL BE THE RESULT? Please solve my foolish idea!

I have made a inverter with 12 V, 45 Amp battery. Its output is 220V AC, 100 watt. If I connect a charger transformer on its 220 V AC out and if I charge its own 45 amp battery at same time from its own output, WHAT WILL BE THE RESULT? Please solve my foolish idea!

Eventually a fully discharged battery.

The overall efficiency is far less than 100%

Hi,

The base reason for this problem is because there are resistances in the circuits. The inverter has resistances, and the transformer has resistances. Resistances eat energy and that energy is *usually* non recoverable. As you loose energy in one stage that means the next stage has less energy to work with on the input and also its own internal resistances eat up more energy and so the output from that next stage is even less than with the previous stage. Thus the energy fed back to the battery is going to be must less than the energy that came out of it originally to feed the inverter.

The battery voltage starts out at maybe 12 volts, and the inverter puts out say 120 volts, and the charger puts out 12 volts, so what goes wrong?
Initially it looks like it works, but then the battery voltage starts to drop just a little and then the voltage regulation circuit of the inverter causes the inverter to draw more current than it did before in order to keep putting out 120 volts. That puts more of a load on the battery, yet the output of the charger is still putting out the same current as before.

Another problem is that the battery has internal resistance which means the charging voltage has to be higher than the nominal battery voltage of 12 volts. Thus the charger has to supply maybe 13.8 volts not 12 volts. This makes things even worse because the output even at the start of the operation has to put out more voltage than the inverter gets in.
A partial way around the loss in the resistances is to use thermo electric voltage converters and use the outputs to boost the input. These devices arent perfect either so there will still be losses.

A third problem and maybe the most important one, even if the thermo electric voltage converters worked perfectly so the heat from every resistance in the system could be converted back into useful electrical energy, you could never tap any energy OUT of the system for your own useful purpose. Even if you connected a tiny LED the system would run down eventually. You could use thermo electric voltage converters to recover some of the heat from this device, but you could not use a photo electric converter to recover the light energy out of the LED because then it would again serve no useful purpose as no one would be able to view the light output of the LED. This is the "last straw on the camel's back" syndrome for perpetual motion machines...once we draw even a tiny amount of energy OUT of the system the system crashes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back