Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A question about resistor uncertainties

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyg

I'm new to circuit-land, and I'm trying to build noise-cancelling headphones with these excellent instructions here **broken link removed**. Most of the parts, I think, are not available at Radioshack aka Source, so I am getting my supply from **broken link removed**. However, the resistors supplied are in some cases 2% instead of 1%. How important is it to have the correct uncertainty? Will using the 2% resistor decrease the circuit's life/damage it?

Thanks,

Pyg

FIne

It will be fine. People often substitute resistor values for similar values due to availibility. A substitution for of tolerance values will almost have a negligble effect, especially on an user application where the ever versatile brain won't notice it. Only time it might really matter is in super accurate analog sensor circuits.

I'm actually suprised that you are talking about 1% and 2% tolerances. Usually regular resistors from packs such as Radio shack and such are 5% and 10%. So don't worry about it too much. The instructions seem to be from an audiophile fanatic or something. It's your first project and tolerance values will have no effect (that I can immediately discerne from the schematic). Thin film resistor were specified though because this is an audio application and you want to reduce noise, but again I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's an early project and you got bigger things to worry about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back