Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A pure Si material doped with donor atoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

john andre

A pure Si material doped with donor atoms where ND = 9 ∙ 1014 cm-3 .
Compute the concentration of free electrons and holes in the material after doping.

How can I do this only knowing Nd?

A pure Si material doped with donor atoms where ND = 9 ∙ 1014 cm-3 .
Compute the concentration of free electrons and holes in the material after doping.

How can I do this only knowing Nd?

I think it is OK to give you the answer now because your homework is long past due. You need to know the intrinsic concentration (IC) of of holes and electrons of silicon at room temperature. Intrinsic means pure, with no dopants or contaminates. The ambient temperature causes a small fraction of silicon atoms to ionize, thereby losing an electron and gaining a hole. Ionization causes holes and free electrons to occur equally in pairs. At room temperature, the IC is 1E10 electrons or holes per cubic centimeter. At 540 K, the IC of silicon is 1E15. The IC for silicon at room temperatue can be found in any good text on semiconductors. You specified Nd in a confusing form, which I believe you meant 9E14. All dopant atoms are completely ionized at room temperature. A text on semiconductors will aver that if the dopant concentration is much greater than the IC, which it is in this case, and much greater than the acceptor dopant concentration, which is zero, then the concentration of electrons will be Nd = 9E14 and the hole concentration will be (IC^2)/Nd = 1E20/9E14 = 1.11E5 .

Ratch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back