Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A problem faced using L7805CV IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerlinM1

Hii,I am using a 7805 Ic for voltage regulation , nd it gets heated up, what should i do to counter it??... can anyone please help me?

Bolt it to a heatsink!!!!!

Basic Power equation: Preg = (UnRegVin-5.0)*Iload.

If Preg > ~0.1W for the TO-92, or >1W for the TO-220 version, then you need additional heatsinking.

Last edited:
What is the input voltage? This has a bearing on how mush the 7805 needs to waste
WASTE = HEAT
Not sure of the formula but have seen the results in print several times.
Lets say your input voltage is 15v D.C. input to a 7805. You are wasting in the form of heat 10v

What is the input voltage? This has a bearing on how mush the 7805 needs to waste
WASTE = HEAT
Not sure of the formula but have seen the results in print several times.
Lets say your input voltage is 15v D.C. input to a 7805. You are wasting in the form of heat 10v

The WASTE (heating) is proportional to POWER dissipated; not just voltage differential. Power = I*V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back