Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A For Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah transistor, Nigel is quiet right, if it became known that there was a marketplace of any kind spammer would move in faster than you can blink. 90% of the spam e-mails I get are for cheap electronics products.

I probable report at least on spam post per month, which is usually repeat in every forum. Everyone has seem to have forgotten Google also reads our posts, the word is probably already out... Kind of think it could be a problem, if not planned out a little. Really shouldn't be a platform for somebodies business, or and advertisement that links to stores or auctions. There should be some clearly defined standard, so those who wish to abuse it, can be more easily dealt with. Anybody can set up a website these days, and there are free hosts, so no real reason to hijack Electro-tech. Even though Electro-Tech won't be taking any responsibility for the merchandise or payment, we are still going to get a reputation from what comes of it. Of course we will have to make sure nothing illegal is offered for sale or trade, but what of deals that go bad? Item lost or damaged in shipment, or never even sent. Or payments not made on time. 'As-is', turns out to be much worse than expected? There will be issues, some people just complain compulsively, and love a large audience. I'm a skeptic, and not the most trusting. Wouldn't gamble anymore than I could afford to throw in the trash can, with most of the people I've met online. There are maybe 6-7 people on this forum, whom I probably would be willing to send money, take them at their word.

Basically though, if somebody wants to run a business, the should be willing to buy some advertisement space here, support the site.

I'm amazed how you could have an opinion on that? :D, as you never see any but a tiny percentage of the spam posted here, as the moderators usually remove it very promptly.

Nigel, I didn't know that you were pretty busy on killing the spammers in background..:D

In this forum **broken link removed** I've seen a chinese spam post couple of months before -that stayed for 2-3 days until the moderators removed. So I thought the spamming(and mods) not at all active there. It hasn't got huge traffic, but a pretty smooth going forum.

I agree with 3v0. Spamming can be reduced much if new posts are open to members having 20+ posts. How was the spam percentage in the old 'electronics projects' forum?

I don't think it's just as simple as removing the spam post, since many are Bots, and just keep re-posting everyday, if they continue to have access. Probably won't be much different with a 'For sale' forum, except Google will be extending an invitation, and someone here will need to determine if its spam or legitimate user posting.

I'd hazard a guess that there are plenty of us members reporting spam/advertising posts, since they tend to disappear pretty quickly.

Personally, I have occasionally reported as many as 2 or 3 in a session.....and then not a single one for more than a few weeks.

Someone out there is watching, 24/7.

Hi all,

One option would be to have all posts submitted to the "Selling" or "Buying" forums be automatically placed into the moderation queue if the member is relative new (ie has say, less than 10 posts). Once they are past the minimum post requirement they bypass the queue and would show up just like a normal post. We could get in some new moderators (2-3 even) for the two forums so that it doesn't clog up the main moderation queue.

We could also impose a 1 post per week or something similar to prevent real members spamming they kits, and new products, etc.

I'm thinking that this wouldn't be a bad idea and could offer a real benefit to ETO..

Am keen to hear your thoughts on my ideas.

Regards,
EM

Last edited:
Well, I can share this. A forum I am quite active in and moderate in has a Buy, Sell and Trade section open to a sort of select group of members. It does work and actually works well. However, it has been my experience that when considering something like this care must be taken on a few issues that can arise.

First thing that comes to my little mind is ETO cannot figure into the transactions. Unlike E Bay you just can't create a buyer or seller ratings system. If I sell a scope to Sceadwian for example and send it to NY and he isn't happy (noise on channel 2) the resolution needs to be between myself and him. There is no way our disagreement can come back and haunt ETO. Know what I mean? Sceadwian can't start running post bashing me and I can't openly ***** at him for breaking the scope I sent him. :)

If I begin to mass produce electric widgets as a business I should not be permitted to hawk my widgets here with advertising. Meanning a seller doesn't get what amounts to free unlimited advertising to hawk their widgets here. I think (just my opinion) that limited selling of items (electrical/electronic items) between members is a good thing. However, it should be "limited" as pointed out. I would suggest no commercial sales period. Just friendly transactions between members on a limited scale. No business ******** period! That is how I see it anyway.

ETO is not just large but quite diverse. You guys have members spanning the globe. Not long ago I saw a member n the UK willing to sell I think it was a scope. Nothing fancy. However, there was a member in the US interested. It took a third member with good sense to point out it was not at all practical to send a scope from the UK to the US for a simple sale. People need to understand what is and is not practical.

Rules? Something like this needs to be started with a well defined set of rules and I am sure rules will be added and modified if this takes place. Absolutely moderation will come into play and I agree that post from new members should be open to holding and reviewed. Additionally it will create more added work for moderators and administrators (staff in general) believe me I know it will. I lie to you not.

Overall, administrators and moderators need to decide if they want to give it a shot. Keeping in mind it can go away as quick as it happens.

Just My Take
Ron

Great post Ron,

and in addition to the previously suggested Admin vetting procedure, would it also be more beneficial to the forum as a whole, if sellers were also required to be 'forum supporters' before placing a 'for sale' ad?

Great post Ron,

and in addition to the previously suggested Admin vetting procedure, would it also be more beneficial to the forum as a whole, if sellers were also required to be 'forum supporters' before placing a 'for sale' ad?

Personally I like that idea but am unsure how it would set. I don't use Pay Pal but I sure would not have an issue kicking in the few bucks a month and I don't have anything to sell. :) I know the cost of maintaining the forum isn't cheap for a place this size.

I would venture this forum also has a high rate of transit traffic. They join, ask a few questions and are gone. Thus a higher post count (over some number whatever) should be required to enter a buy, sell, or trade section.

All in all as was covered it will take some degree of moderating and rules. One problem I forever chase down is that a member post something for sale. Let's say a used no name brand ATX power supply. OK, the seller ask $50 (USD) for the thing. Now in reality we have a $10 item with a seller asking $50. All well and fine till a dozen do good forum members decide to "memberate" and start a flame war with the seller. This has a way of evolving into a mess for some poor moderator trying to keep a thread on track. Rule: If you don't have an interest in the item, leave the thread alone, even though you may be well intentioned.

Ron

Mickster, requiring users that have access to the forum to pay for the access by being a supporting member is unfortunately a VERY bad idea, number one, it doesn't help the people out that could use it, those just trying to make a few pennies pawning off stuff they don't need that is still useful, and also it could infer that it's a paid service and might have legal consequences for the website admin.

I would recommend a 100% moderator que for all posts from EVERY user until the moderator themselves 'clears' a particular user as being able to post without queing. This will be hell on moderators at the start but once the spammers have been permanently banned things will clear out, and the honest posters will get their 'all clear' badge based on moderator judgement. Allowing it to rely on something as useless as number of posts being greater than 10 will simply cause greater spam in the forum by people trying to get to their 10 post limit to throw in an advertisement. 100% moderation is the only solution I can think of. there is no 'system' that can determine if a person or ad is okay, it really requires human judgment. Banned spammers IPs need to go into a bit bucket an if too many spams from various users come from specific IP range the domain should be banned, something like that.

Regardless of how it's done there will be some blowback as ron suggests from disgruntled users should anything go bad.

Hi Everyone :) I had an idea that might work, Rather than create a thread, create a Page of items for sale, and the sellers user name, and description of the items for sale, that way, the buyer and the seller can use the Private Messaging, and keep the transaction in Private, the Page can be wiped clean every 30 days, and new items can be listed for sale, or relisted, the items can have 1box next to it let others know the item has been sold, or the ad can be deleted by the seller, this might be the simplest and easiest way of doing it, and the seller enters all the info. Just my 2 cents worth :) Take care, Chellie

Last edited:
Sounds a lot like the pin board at our local super market =) Though don't wipe it after thirty days, just have the posts expire after 2 weeks, if after two weeks no one's picked up on a notice no one is likely to, at least in the short term those really trying to get rid of something of value can go to dedicated auction sites. But a public 'bulliten' board seems like not a bad idea. It would have to be moderated as well though but not on the same lines as an entire forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back