Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A few Questions regarding which ICD to choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

some.hacker

I am looking at getting an ICD for programming my dsPIC's and I'm having some trouble finding out some basic things about them. Firstly, it seems that there are alot of clones of the ICD2 running around, and some of them call themselves ICD2.5. What is the difference (if any) between and ICD2 and an ICD2.5? I read the stickied review on the inchworm, but decided against getting it because I want a device that comes fully assembled and tested. I'm pretty new to this game, but I have enough experience to know the wide variety of things that can go wrong even when the hardware works perfectly. I have decided I want a USB device and not a RS-232 device because none of my computers currently have an RS-232 interface and I don't see the point in buying a converter cable just for this. Mostly what I am looking for is recommendations for devices that fit the above description from those who have used them.

tl;dr: What, in your experience is the best USB ICD2 or ICD2.5 device?

things like this:
**broken link removed**

I am looking at getting an ICD for programming my dsPIC's and I'm having some trouble finding out some basic things about them. Firstly, it seems that there are alot of clones of the ICD2 running around, and some of them call themselves ICD2.5. What is the difference (if any) between and ICD2 and an ICD2.5? I read the stickied review on the inchworm, but decided against getting it because I want a device that comes fully assembled and tested. I'm pretty new to this game, but I have enough experience to know the wide variety of things that can go wrong even when the hardware works perfectly. I have decided I want a USB device and not a RS-232 device because none of my computers currently have an RS-232 interface and I don't see the point in buying a converter cable just for this. Mostly what I am looking for is recommendations for devices that fit the above description from those who have used them.

tl;dr: What, in your experience is the best USB ICD2 or ICD2.5 device?

things like this:
**broken link removed**

PICKit 2 is better than the ICD right now and cheaper.

Last edited:
It looks like that kit does not have a DIP socket on it. I can't really tell because their pictures of it are so small. Do you know if it has a DIP socket or if you can easily add one?

Hi,

Think you should evaluate your needs more - for the average hobbyist the Pickit2 is the idea choice, but you are saying you are doing the DSPICs.
Being at such a high level now implies that you may well be upgrading soon to the new chips likethe pic32 mx7 series etc - here the Pk2 will let you down as its software future is uncertain.
The Pickit3, though much maligned, will do those chips and being the current model should be properly supported when new chip come out.
Also consider the ICD3 which offers many high end features at a cost.

For any of these you simply need to add one of the many ready made Zif socket boards designed to plug straight onto the above.

Out of interest, if you do not mind, your question suggests you are somewhat new to the pics, yet you are doing high end devices - just wondered why you started with them ?

Right now my current project is a glorified raver toy. If you are familiar with what form the defcon 17 badge took last year, it will be something very similar. The idea is to hook up a microphone to one of the analog inputs and do fft on the incoming signal. Once you have the fft, you divide the frequency range into 3 parts. The total value of the fft in each division is used to determine the voltage level on 3 separate output pins which are connected through a driver to el wire. Sound reactive lighting that is highly customizable and attachable to just about anything. I also am looking at getting into serious uav design, and these things seem to be a good base to begin that project once the previous one is completed. Right now though, I just need something that does programming and icd through usb on dspic30's in dip.

Hi,

Think you should evaluate your needs more - for the average hobbyist the Pickit2 is the idea choice, but you are saying you are doing the DSPICs.
Being at such a high level now implies that you may well be upgrading soon to the new chips likethe pic32 mx7 series etc - here the Pk2 will let you down as its software future is uncertain.
The Pickit3, though much maligned, will do those chips and being the current model should be properly supported when new chip come out.
Also consider the ICD3 which offers many high end features at a cost.

For any of these you simply need to add one of the many ready made Zif socket boards designed to plug straight onto the above.

Out of interest, if you do not mind, your question suggests you are somewhat new to the pics, yet you are doing high end devices - just wondered why you started with them ?

Opps - its not a link but a file in Mplab /C:/PROGRAM FILES/MICROCHIP/MPLAB IDE/READMES/Device Support.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back