Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a/b/c/y type switch? not quite...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PotatoFro

Hi there and thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Here's my project, i'm not sure how to research it further:

I'm a guitarist and i run my signal currently through three different pedals each with a different purpose (an over drive, distortion, and boost to be used in conjunction with either of the other two)... in order to switch between these i have to turn one off then click on the other (which is made even more complicated when i use two at a time at some points and have to do this live between a chorus and bridge).

I would like to find a way to make myself a single foot switch that would act like an amp channel selector in that i would have buttons A, B, C, and Y...

when A is clicked the signal goes from GUITAR to AMP (clean signal)
when B is clicked the signal goes GUITAR to PEDAL #1 to the AMP
when C is clicked the signal goes GUITAR to PEDAL #2 to the AMP
when Y is clicked the signal goes GUITAR to PEDAL #3 (boost) then depending on whether A/B/C are clicked it would go to either of those and then to the AMP

The thing that threw me off here is being able to have three different buttons and to be able to click between them (not turn them each off and on respectively) and then also have the Y button that can be on at the same time as one of the other three.

Also, sound quality and noise are supremely important so I need to take that into concern when setting it up.

Again thanks so much for any help, advice, or ideas you can offer!! :)

Jacob

Last edited:
It's possible, just not trivial. You could conceivable do it with a series of latching relays, but the wiring would be somewhat complex.

The simplest way would probably be to program a microcontroller to do this. It would have the pushbutton signals as inputs and the output would be control signals to either relays or analog switches to route the audio as you desire. The program would essentially be a series of If-Then statements similar to your description of the signal routing. (If switch "A" is clicked Then energize relay (or analog switch) 1, etc.)

If you're not familiar with µCs, this would be a good project to learn about them since the application and program is fairly simple.

Careful design, layout and shielding of the circuitry will give a device that will not affect the fidelity of the guitar signal.

If other guitar players need a similar device, you could perhaps sell them and make a little money.

Thanks so much for the reply! I'll have to look into that, it's definitely a project worth undertaking. And selling it on the side... not a bad idea!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back