Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7805 Heat Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

I need 5V/600mA from a 12V DC power source.Main concern is the heat on linear regulators.Do not have modern Switch mode converters & needs to do with commonly available parts. I'm thinking to do with two 7805. Can it supply 5V/600mA without heatsinks?

Attachments

• 5V Mod.JPG
    5V Mod.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 206
No, each device will dissipate 2.1 Watts ( in an ideal Balanced condition - not guaranteed in this setup) and will need a Heat Sink to dissipate the heat.
Why not use a 12 Volt bulb in series with a single device, the major voltage drop being across the bulb? Of course, the bulb will glow red and dissipate heat.

The 7805 is dropping 7V, so 7 x 0.6 = 4.2 Watts power dissipation.

A fairly simple alternative is a "simple switcher" IC plus a few parts.
An LM2575 would be suitable.
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2575-n.pdf

Producing 5V from 12V at one amp, it would be 77% efficient according to the data.

That means less than one watt dissipation.

A simple solution for the 7805 would be a string of 1A rectifiers in series with the input....
Seven or eight would reduce the 7805 input to near 7V.

The CUI VXO78-500 series is a switching regulator designed to replace a standard 78xx linear regulator which almost meets your needs. These modules supply up to 500mA and are less than two bucks at Digikey. These solved a tough problem for me, so others may be interested in them too.

SmartSelect_20190123-035447_Firefox.jpg

A simple solution for the 7805 would be a string of 1A rectifiers in series with the input....
Seven or eight would reduce the 7805 input to near 7V.
I like simple solutions. Would an 8 \( \Omega \) 5W resistor do the same job?

Mike.

Hi, how did you calculate 8 ohms?
600mA in 8 ohms= 4.8V. Then the input to a single 7805 regulator would be 12V - 4.8V= 7.2V and the regulator would heat with (7.2V - 5V) x 600mA= 1.32W. The regulator will be close to its maximum allowed temperatrure and might not last long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back